The first Swedish expedition to North America embarked from the port of Gothenburg, Sweden in late 1637 and the community that gradually expanded along the banks of the Delaware River called itself "Nya Sverige." In English, this means "New Sweden."
If one Swedish colonist had to be chosen to stand for them all, perhaps there is no better candidate than Peter Gunnarsson Rambo. He came to New Sweden from Hisingen, now a suburb of the major seaport of Gothenburg, in 1640. Peter Rambo brought with him "apple seeds in a box." A few years later he married a girl who had come here from Vaasa, Finland. Peter Rambo's apples are still grown locally.
William Penn first stepped ashore in America in 1682 at the Swedish village of Upland—which as the "new owner," he promptly renamed Chester. Penn soon learned to count on experienced Swedish fur traders to act as interpreters when he negotiated treaties or bought land from the Delaware and Susquehannock Indians. And when his agents had picked a site for the great metropolis that he was planning, Penn found it expedient to buy the land from three Swedish brothers named Svensson. They were farmers, as their father had been, in what is now downtown Philadelphia.
The town the I live in, Norristown, was originally called Swedesford. Peter Rambo is buried in a churchyard a couple miles down the road.
The Swedes spread up the Schyullkill River from Philadelphia towards the site of what would become Reading, PA. About half way between these two iconic Pennsylvania cities, is the hamlet of Douglassville. And in Douglassville, one finds the oldest house in Berks County.

The house is a little off the beaten track. The sign points the way.
Monce Jones (Jonasson), the son of Jonas Nielson and Gertrude Y Svensdotter was born 1663 in Philadelphia, PA, USA, and died March 29, 1728 in Douglassville, Berks County, PA, USA. He married Ingeborg Peterssdatter Laikan Lycon, the daughter of Peter Nilsson Laikan Lycon.
I wonder just what pet name Mounce had for Ingeborg...

As the access road was deeply rutted and rather wet, I decided to walk into the site last weekend. I took this picture of a big leaf for a Swede I know, some time ago.

The access road turns into a long driveway. The house stands along the Schuyllkill River.

I think the front of the house faced the river. There is a fenced in herb garden just outside the front door.

The opposite side of the house has a prominent oven built into it.

The end of the house has one, very small window - I think this is because glass was imported from the old country (likely England) and was very expensive.

I thought the window was interesting enough to take a close up of it. It is rather plain.

In the "front" of the house, above the entrance way, is a marker that shows "I M I 1716". I pondered this for a while, I think the top "I" is an old style "J", and that the "M" and "I" below that might be Mounce and Ingeborg's initials. There was no one to be found in this little park, so I resorted to asking Mr. Google to no avail.
But...
Mr. Google did turn up something most intriguing. It seems that there are very (as in incredibly) old photographs showing the contents of some unsuspecting immigrating Swede's luggage. Which, no doubt...

...shows how the Orange Cones came to America. This rare photo shows three members of the most invasive species known to the human race that hitched a ride from the old country...
Inscribed on the back, it says, "Harold Coneson and Jenny Ochasdatter, arrive in America with little Peter Haroldsson in 1684. Jenny was claimed to have been the first to use the newfangled traveler's pillow."
With my feeble computer skills, I was able to greatly enhance and colorize the photograph.

Submitted for your approval -

17 comments:
ba hah ha haha. You made me smile! However, I really want to peak into those windows. Now I must know more about this house. arrrg. Thank you, once again, for broadening my horizons...:-)
My grandpa Eric Johnson worked his way over on a steamship to Canada and was a lumberjack for a while up there before he settled in Minnesota and married Anna...had to be early 1900s (my dad is 91). My brother, sister, and I are the last of the full-blooded Swedes in the family line. I love that humungous leaf, BTW. ;)
I never think of Swedes out east, so this was interesting to me. So many of them came to the midwest. Farmers. I always heard that the land here is much like parts of the old country--and land was plentiful. Love that old brick house. I imagine glass was hard to come by.
But--the baby cones in the luggage--now that is something completely new! And exciting bit of history that has been overlooked in the history books--LOL! You made my day, sweetie!! :):)
I had to chuckle at those last two shots. NOW we know how Orange Cones arrived in this country. It wasn't a space invasion after all!
Loved the photos of the house. That was an interesting marker over the doorway. I wondered about it when I checked out your photos in Flickr last week. (i hope your friends are checking out your wonderful photos in Flickr on a regular basis)
It looked like a very nice day to be out and about last weekend. You've dug up a lot of history while out there. Thanks for the lesson! :)
HARDEEHARRRHARRRRR
Love the photo of the travelers AND the photos of the old building. There is such charm in the old rock houses built long ago.
Those Swedes certainly knew how to build a house. I too, would like a peak inside. I see they packed for all kinds of emergencies. :)
Very interesting, I didn't realize Swedes settled so far east either. So are those "SOCHA's"? Are all OCHA's descendants of those original SOCHA's?
Who'd have guessed they were really from the old country. And here I was thinking they were aliens all along.
"Feeble computer skills," indeed!
Thanks for the smile--no, actually laughed out loud a couple times!--for today.
Mystery -freakin'-solved!!!!
Seriously, what an amazing old house.
LOL! Nice try, Iggy!!
Love the house. They really knew how to build 'em back then, didn't they??
Way back then homes were built to last!
So I guess they're aliens of the "from another country" kind rather than of the "from another planet" kind, huh?
The big question now, of course, is whether or not they're illegal aliens?
Ooooh, how I've missed stopping by for a read and a laugh. I should get around a little more often. The photo of the window caught my eye in the photo stream before e I even started reading. I never really knew there were so many early Swedish settlers. It is good to finally know that they are responsible for the cone. Good job coloring that old photo.
Take care!
I humbly bow to you in your geniusness! You "had me from hello"... I was so caught up in the story that you totally caught me off guard. I was expecting a streamer trunk or something... I laughed so loud that Jim came running!
And that house... sigh. Love it! Small window and all.
wow...the house is still in such great shape..could live in it..and put the cones up to keep folks out.
That is one beautiful house..you are so lucky to live in a place just oozing with history.
Those cones are real travellers:)
I wonder if that's the story of Johnny Appleseed came from...a man named Rambo! Love the cone that wore a sweatband during his trans-Atlantic journey :)
I am laughing out loud now. I was all serious and into this fantastic little house and my imagination was running wild and pffffwap! You hit me out of left field with a cone. Love it.
Post a Comment