
The man that the newspaper calls "Edward" is Edwin Pershing McClurken who was born Nov 11, 1917 and was apparently named after U.S. General "Black Jack" Pershing of WWI fame. His bride-to-be is Frances Sophia Erney. They were married April 26, 1946. They had two children.
Edwin served in the South Pacific for three years during WWII. I never knew or met the man or his wife although he was one of my grandmother's cousins.

My Great Aunt Eleanor was quite a woman. She was opinionated, outspoken, and loud. She had a great zest for life and she fought the cancer that eventually killed her as bravely as anyone I have ever seen.
One of my biggest memories of her, centers around her and my grandmother. You see, my mom, my younger brother, my grandmother and I were out in California visiting Eleanor, who was my grandmother's youngest sibling, some time back in the 1970s.
My grandmother was about as different from her sister as one could be - she was demure to the point of being meek - and did what the wife did for her husband. She remembered being poor when she was growing up - you might remember that her father was killed and her brother stepped up to help support the family...and then of course, she survived the Great Depression, learning not to waste anything at all.
So it was, we went to sightseeing while we were California and while we were in San Diego, we went to the most elegant Hotel Del Coronado for either lunch or "high tea". While we ate (with pinky fingers held high), my grandmother took some of the rolls and extra butter, wrapped them in a paper napkin she brought into the hotel in her pocketbook and then stuffed the package into her coat pocket.
My Aunt watched her do this with great interest, her sparkling eyes rolling the whole time.
After we ate, and on the way out through the glorious wooden lobby, my mom and grandmother decided they should "powder their noses" and make use of the facilities while they had the chance. It was a long-ish drive back to my Aunt's house.
While we were waiting for "the girls," my Aunt asked me if my grandmother was living in a cardboard box "out east" and wasn't my grandfather taking care of her?
I replied they had a beautiful home being rather confused by the question (I was only about ten years old at the time). When my grandmother and mom returned to the lobby, my grandmother was awkwardly trying to slip some paper towels she had taken from the ladies room into her already very full pocketbook. When my Aunt saw this, she exclaimed in a very loud voice, clearly heard throughout the until then genteel lobby, "For God's sake Edith!!! We'll buy you some G--D--n paper towels!!!"
I can still hear the words ringing in my ears - colored by her unique blend of Philadelphia-Nebraska-California hodgepodge accent.
So now, when in a restaurant, when my mom slips a stray packet of sweetener (or ketchup) into her pocket or handbag, I'll say, "For God's sake Mom! I'll buy you some gosh durn Sweet-n-low!!" and we will all crack up laughing, lost in the warm memories of my Great Aunt.
She is greatly missed.

21 comments:
OMG!! That is soooo funny! I bet she made one interesting mayor. What an outspoken lady. :)
I didn't know about the Australian wives. You mostly hear about the European and Oriental wives after WWII. What a pretty girl with a gorgeous smile!!
I keep picturing you as a young boy trying to figure out what the questions were all about while the ladies were in the powder room. Ahhh! Memories! ;)
That was hysterical!! I'd be afraid of messing up my purse!
As for the war brides...I can't imagine worrying for three years straight! It's amazing that all those couples made it through that intact!
Hugs!
What a wonderful story! Thanks for sharing it with us.
I never considered Australian brides, Iggy. Knew of brides from England and such, but never Australia. Interesting. Sad you didn't get a chance to meet them, I'm sure their adventures would have been fascinating to hear about.
So enjoyed the story your shared of Great Aunt Eleanor! She does sound like a fiesty one and I'm very well acquainted with the Hotel Del so I can imagine the ambience of the scene you described plus the time when it was so many years ago. Her comment definitely must have had a few heads turned your way!
I asked hubby if he knew of her name since he grew up from 10 years on in the area. He said it sounded vaguely familiar; they arrived here in 1965.
Two great stories you shared with us today, Iggy. I hope your weekend is restful!
betty
*Chuckles* What a wonderful story!
I never knew about the Australian brides either. Interesting fact.
That's a wonderful story about your great aunt. I can just picture you and your mom laughing at the joke you now have between the two of you because of her. :)
Hope you're having a great weekend.
Loved hearing the story about your Aunt Eleanor! What a nice moment of laughter you can share with your mother.
You tell a story of memories so well. It's moments like those that make them so fond.
Thanks for the story and bringing up some good memories. My grandmother and her sibling were all like that. I remember my great Aunt taking food home in a baggie from family weddings. I never went to a restaurant with my grandmother that she didn't take sugar home. There's a "friends" episode with a similar thing about "sweet-n-low" packets that cracks me up every time.
I didn't know about the Australian War Brides either.
Love the Aunt Eleanor story and love her. You're right. Having lived through the depression, some of that generation never got over it. My grandmother had a freezer full of half or quarter sandwiches or other bits of food, wrapped in plastic bread bags, "just in case".
She sounds like quite a lady, I am really enjoying these blasts from the past here. You tell it so well. I've been known to sneak a few midnight snacks into my purse every once in a while. Hey, you only live once right?
what a sweet story..I can still see my mother slipping things into her purse when we went out to eat. I think that was an after affect from the depression!
Hehehe your aunt was so sweet :) I loved hotel del coronado when I visited as a kid... It had a lot of mystery to it... inside. And on the outside? All that red roof and white sands... ah, I wanna go back someday.
For God's sake Iggy! You made me laugh so hard. The Great Depression left its mark on many of that generation. Mom and dad were notorious for "stealing" napkins from McDonalds. When we cleaned their house after they passed away, we drug enough McDonald's napkins home to last us for many months. And every time we used one, we just grinned.
So here is to Great Aunt Eleanor and fond memories. She definitely sounds like someone I would have liked to have gotten to know.
Cute story. :) Isn't it funny how these "larger than life" lovedones of ours, STILL speak to us and give us entertainment years after they've gone on?!
She must have been quite a character..as was your Grandma..loved your recollections! Cardboard box indeed:)
That is hilarious! My mom is the EXACT same way- she'll wrap up the extra bread from restaurants and take it home, and she'll hold onto fast food napkins like they're gold of something. The furthest I go is stealing the shampoos and soaps from hotels :)
What a wonderful story Iggy, thanks so much for sharing, sends you a warm HUG :o)
*waves to Iggy*
Been thinking about you. *hugs*
OH GOODNESS. SOMETIME I grab extra napkins off the table when we leave a restaurant while traveling. I stuff them in my glove compartment (who uses that term anymore?) and have it handy when we have a spill on the road.
Now why don't I just buy some and put in there I DON'T KNOW!
some how some where around here my blog lines quit following you..I thought you had taken one of your hiatus and boom, I found out different..feck
I think I would have loved this lady.
Post a Comment