Friday, July 22, 2011

Mount Vernon Snapshot

an early picture of mount vernon, the home of george washington Mount Vernon, located just south of Washington D.C. in Virginia, was the plantation home of the first President of the United States, George Washington. The mansion is built of wood in neoclassical Georgian architectural style, and is located on the banks of the Potomac River.

When Augustine Washington (George Washington's father) owned the estate, it was known as Little Hunting Creek Plantation. Lawrence Washington, George's older half-brother, inherited the estate and changed its name to Mount Vernon in 1742 in honor of Vice Admiral Edward Vernon famed for the War of Jenkin's Ear* and capture of Portobelo, Colón.

*I leave as an exercise to the reader to learn about the War of Jenkin's Ear!

Upon Lawrence's untimely death in July 1752, his will provided that his widow should own a life estate in Mount Vernon, with the remainder interest falling to Lawrence's beloved half-brother, George. George Washington was already living at Mount Vernon and managing the plantation. Lawrence's widow, Anne Fairfax (1728-1761), however promptly remarried into the Lee family and moved out.

Anne Fairfax was the granddaughter of Thomas Fairfax, 5th Lord Fairfax of Cameron. The present day Fairfax county, Virginia named for her uncle, Thomas Fairfax. Anne was a distant aunt to Robert E. Lee, who married Martha Custis Washington's granddaughter, Mary Anna Rudolph Custis.

In any event, in the treasure trove of lost photographs, I found this badly damaged photo rolled up with in a bundle with my grandmother's High School and College diplomas, neither of which I had ever seen before. Apparently my grandfather was bothered by the fact she not only finished High School (which he did not), but had also gone on to get a college dregee so my grandmother never hung the diplomas in their house out of "deference" to him.

The Kensington High School Party, February 11, 1925. My grandmother is just right of center in the middle row at mount vernon, it looks like about 50 young ladies and one older man teacher The Kensington High School Party, February 11, 1925. My grandmother is just right of center in the middle row with the red ^ pointing to her. She looks like she is a bit chilly!

Mount Vernon was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1960 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is owned and maintained in trust by The Mount Vernon Ladies' Association and is open every day of the year.

After the deaths of George Washington (in 1799) and his widow Martha (in 1802), Mount Vernon, remained in the family for three generations. John Augustine Washington, Jr., a great-great-nephew of George Washington, eventually became owner of the property, but could not afford to maintain it. By the 1850s the home was beginning to crumble. However, John Washington would not sell to commercial developers and insisted that the new owner preserve Mount Vernon as a historic site.

He offered to sell the estate to either the Federal government or the Commonwealth of Virginia, but the legislatures declined, saying it would not be proper to spend tax-payers' money to acquire private property.

In 1853, South Carolina socialite Louise Dalton Bird Cunningham saw Washington's home in poor condition. She wrote her daughter, Ann Pamela Cunningham, saying~~

If the men of America have seen fit to allow the home of its most respected hero to go to ruin, why can't the women of America band together to save it?

Ann Pamela founded the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association and invited influential women from each state (there were 30 at that time) to serve as its original Vice-Regents. It was the first nation-wide women's organization in America.

Miss Cunningham and the Association launched a nationwide fund raising effort. John Washington agreed to sell the property to the Association and the contract was signed in Richmond on April 6, 1858. The agreement was to sell the Mansion, outbuildings and 200 surrounding acres to the Association for $200,000.

Mount Vernon Ladies' Association bought a run down mansion Mount Vernon as it appeared when the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association bought it.

Ann Pamela Cunningham's original vision became the Association's mission statement which remains the same today~~

Ladies, the home of Washington is in your charge - see to it that you keep it the home of Washington. Let no irreverent hand change it; no vandal hands desecrate it with the fingers of progress. Those who go to the home in which he lived and died wish to see in what he lived and died. Let one spot in this grand country of ours be saved from change. Upon you rests this duty.

The Association maintains a headquarters on the Mount Vernon property, and consists of a Regent, or chairman, and 30 trustees, or Vice Regents, who represent their home states. The non-profit Association still receives no federal or state financial aid and relies solely on admission fees, revenues from food and gift sales, and donations from foundations, businesses, and individuals.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post Iggy I so much enjoyed reading it. I would love to visit Washington D.C. sometime before I die :o) HUGS!!

Deanna said...

First of all, I appreciate the link for the Battle of Jenkins Ear. My curiosity was going to get the better of me and I was going to have to google it myself for sure.

What a find, discovering that picture. It is a shame it and the diplomas were kept hidden all this time.

The story about Mount Vernon is fascinating. Our forefathers were surrounded by a lot of smart and forward looking women.... dare we call them our foremothers? What a travesty it would have been had that house not been saved and preserved for our generations and the generations to come.

Once again, thanks for entertwining real life and history for another interesting blog post.

Huge hugs!
Punkn

AliceKay said...

I ditto what Deanna said because I was thinking the same thing (especially the last line...before the hugs) but I'm too lazy to sit here and write it out. LOL

(it's late and i need to close up shop for the night...and nope, i havent gotten to bed yet. lol) *hugs*

Queenie Jeannie said...

I've never visited Mount Vernon, although it was on my list of things to see when we lived in Alexandria. Perhaps someday! Thank you for sharing this fabulous info with us!!!

Texas Gal said...

I guess the closest I ever got to there was Philly. I never really wanted to go to DC..too much traffic. and you know how well I can walk!!
Interesting to know that they have maintained the estate all these years with no federal aid. Shame every organization can't do that!!!
*hugs*

Rita said...

It made me sad that your grandmother had to hide her diplomas away. I'm so glad things like that have improved for women.

I didn't realize that Mount Vernon was kept up by private individuals and donations! That is really something, especially over all this time! And the ear war was interesting, too.

What did your grandmother get her degree in? Do you know?

I hope you have a super weekend!! :)

betty said...

What a great find with the photo, Iggy; Even for it being rolled up, it sure seems like it is in relatively good shape for being taken in 1925. How far would they have traveled to see Mount Vernon? I look at pictures like this and I wonder how many (if any) are still alive, what did they do with their lives, did it go the way they thought, etc.

I enjoyed Mount Vernon; saw it three times, so rich in history. I like the whole DC area (my sister lives just outside of it on the Virginia side).

as always, very interesting to see what you post!

have a good weekend!

betty

Parsley said...

You are quite the historian and writer. You should think of writing a BOOK. Thanks for the great read.

Just Stuff From a Boomer said...

Your grandmother was a great lady Iggy. It's too bad she felt she had to hide her accomplishments. You must be very proud of her.

I love Mt. Vernon. It's one of my favorite places to visit in the D.C. area. I was once climbing that front staircase and realized that probably, every president we have had has climbed those same steps. It gave me something to think about.

I found it fitting that the women of the south saved the White House of the Confederacy, Jefferson Davis's home in Richmond,Va, as well.

Your Grandmother was one of those kind of ladies. She accomplished something few did in her day too.

Anonymous said...

What a great ffind... Though it is a shame the deplomas couldn't have been on display.

And, very interesting post... Thanks for the share!

Mary said...

Once again, another wonderfully thought provoking post. Without being repitious, I also think Deanna said it best. The forethought the women had is truly a gift to all.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Leave it to the women to band together to save something!
I have never been to Wash DC but I would like to spend a week at the Smithsonian.
You Grandmother and her friends all look old and distinguished for their age..it must be the hats ..and the coats. Just the opposite nowadays they all look too young to Graduate:)

sugarlens said...

I did a high school project on Mount Vernon. Still remember visiting the place with my mom...

Furry Bottoms said...

I remember visiting that place when I was a teen. I remember thinking how small and steep everything was. Were people really that skinny back then?

ChicagoLady said...

Mt. Vernon is one of the places on my ever-growing list of places to see before I die. You should be a history teacher; you talk about history in a way that makes it fun to learn.

How interesting that your grandmother graduated high school and college considering the times back then.

It's truly amazing all the important women in history, that unfortunately get overlooked due to the leaders almost always being men and getting all the glory.

Anonymous said...

I always learn so much on your blog! What a beautiful estate, and a very cool history. Have you ever seen it in person?