
Robert Wyland (born 1956), known simply as Wyland, is an artist best known for painting large, outdoor murals of whales and other ocean life. He has painted 100 or more of these huge murals. He painted a mural on this "blank canvas" (WW42) and titled it, 'East Coast Humpbacks'. It is 125 Feet Long x 130 Feet High. It was dedicated on July 19, 1993.

They have added a walkway down to a very pleasant walking path along the river. The train tracks are still there too, hidden behind the walkway.
I walked over the bridge that carries Market Street over the river (with trepidation) to get a closer shot.

You can see his other awesome murals at the Whaling Wall.
I've seen WW26 on the side of a K-Mart, in Marathon, Florida Keys. I know someone that is fond of WW43 is in Wildwood, New Jersey. WW86 features a Manatee. Is there one near you?

21 comments:
He used to have a store and work in Laguna Beach, CA! The father of a friend of mine in high school used to work there. He has a lot of beautiful work everywhere!
Oh my gosh...that is beautiful!!!
Those are amazing! Next time I get to Dallas, I am going to see the mural they have there. =)
Awesome! :)
Sadly I know of none near me but I have always been a fan of his work. I love whales and dolphins and I actually used to collect them. That Mural is beautiful and I love the spot it is in thanks so much for sharing it Iggy HUGS!!
That mural is beautiful. You can alomost smell the ocean. Philadelphia is a city I have not visited, but would like to. Point me to an Art Museum and I'm happy as can be.
Wow! Absolutely real to life. I wish there was one near me, but not even close. I guess I'm going to have to do some traveliing, huh :)
HUGS!
I love Wyland and his artwork, as you well know. I love dolphins and whales. This one is beautiful. I hope to see it in person one day. Maybe you can be my tour guide. :)
The one in Wildwood has been on my mind for a long time. :)
Beautiful! I want a manatee! In fact, I put the manatee picture back as my wallpaper on my computer. Love seeing it every time I get on the computer. Too bad I won't have time to cruise southern CA in a couple weeks to go see some in person.
I follow a gal in Canada that wrote about this..she is on my side bar at my main blog..under Dogs Blogs Karen at Wyndson Farms. There is a mural in Whit Rock..July 22 if you care to look.
This fellow obviously was a wonderful painter..I am sure there are none near me.
What a beautiful scene this is..and you braved the bridge just for the photo:)
So life like!! That's amazing!
Had not heard of him. You are always teaching me something with the interesting things you share. The closest one to me in at the new big zoo in Minneapolis. I was happy to know they have one of his murals there. They are truly amazing! I can see why you braved a bridge to get a closer look and pic. ;)
Wow That is awesomely beautiful! Next time James and I get up there we will have to visit the art museum (if you and I feel up to the walk/wheelchair ride/lol)
As you now know, there is one near me:) I like how yours can be viewed from many vantage points. The one I'm familiar with is sort of hidden away, but it's a pleasant surprise when it suddenly appears as you are driving down the street.
Thanks for stopping by:)
I love murals like that.
I have seen the one in Chicago and the one in Mexico City. I love how they stick out from everything else that surrounds them.
I don't think I've ever seen any around here- I'll have to ask Alyson where ours is. I could never imagine trying to paint something that huge- he must be incredibly talented!
I have seen a few of these at the coast. Truly wonderful!
We were at the Wyland Wall and art gallery in Laguna Beach, CA last weekend. Very cool stuff.
We were at the Wyland Wall and art gallery in Laguna Beach, CA last weekend. Very cool stuff.
wow..how beautiful
Post a Comment