
"We were children of the 1950s and John Kennedy's young stalwarts of the early 1960s. He told the world that Americans would "pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship" in the defense of freedom. We were the down payment on that costly contract, but the man who signed it was not there when we fulfilled his promise.
John Kennedy waited for us on a hill in Arlington National Cemetery, and in time we came by the thousands to fill those slopes with our white marble markers and to ask on the murmur of the wind if that was truely the future he had envisioned for us."
— Joseph L. Galloway
Since I've been born, the USA has been busy with its wars...
1960-1975
Vietnam War
United States and South Vietnam vs. North Vietnam
U.S. Casualties: 58,193 deaths, 153,303 wounded in action, 1948 missing in action
1961
Bay of Pigs Invasion
United States vs. Cuba
1983
Grenada
United States Intervention
1989
US Invasion of Panama
United States vs. Panama
1990-1991
Persian Gulf War
United States and Coalition Forces vs. Iraq
U.S. Casualties: 378 deaths, less than 1000 wounded in action
1995-1996
Intervention in Bosnia and Herzegovina
United States as part of NATO acted peacekeepers in former Yugoslavia
2001-Ongoing
Invasion of Afghanistan
United States and Coalition Forces vs. the Taliban regime in Afghanistan.
U.S. Casualties: 1098 deaths, 2379 wounded in action
2003-Ongoing (or August 19, 2010 if you want to believe that)
Invasion of Iraq
United States and Coalition Forces vs. Iraq
U.S. Casualties: 4,404 deaths; 31,827 wounded in action
2011-Libya
NATO "No-Fly Zone"
United States as part of NATO trying to impose a regime change
My understanding is the backlog at Arlington National Cemetery, that most hallowed of memorial sites which handles 27 burials a day, is now up to 3 to 4 months; meaning if a serviceman or woman dies today, he/she can't be buried there until sometime in October.
Sad. "We've" been at war for over half of my life. I re-ask on the murmur of the wind if that was truely the future JFK had envisioned for us...

21 comments:
A lot of lives lost and many more changed forever. It sure makes you wonder, doesn't it?
Yep, that's what my sister told me the other day. October is the soonest her husband can be buried at Arlington.
Nice to see a post from you, Iggy. *hugs*
yeah, it's sad. My grandfather was a veteran, but he is going to be buried at Quanco (sp?)
Its good to see a post from you!
Wow, I didn't know that about Arlington. (of course in my mind I'm thinking what do they do with the waiting bodies). But wow, to take that long to get that part of closure done for the families.
Unfortunately, we live in a fallen world and there will always be a war some place, sadly. I don't think throughout history there hasn't been a long period of time when there was no fighting, no wars.
Having said that, that was a very interesting quote of JFK's, etc. Something to think about and something to strive to at least have peace in our own households and hope it can extend further.
Writer blocks are okay, but do stop in and post every now and then when you can, Iggy, to let us know all is as well as it can be in your neck of the country.
betty
And so, my fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country.
John F. Kennedy
One of his best...I just wish our government would do for OUR country what they do for every other country...(even though Korea was before our lifetimes..the DMZ is still there and we still guard it)
I also watched that program, and found myself wondering the exact same thing. I was born in 1962 and really until about 1973 or so I wasn't aware of any of the conflicts going on. I guess I was pretty sheltered from it. I find myself now, seeking information on those pieces of history that I was so sheltered from. It's just awful for those family members to have to wait so long for burial. Let alone all those that are still MIA.
Didn't know there was such a back-log at Arlinton Cemetary. So sad.
I supposed we will never experience true peace until Heaven (my faith). Seems we are are always at war with another country or even among ourselves.
I know.
I go back to The Cold War, hiding under our desks for bomb drills in grade school.
I went to funerals in high school for fellow classmates shipped home from Vietnam.
It never ends.
Humans are slow learners.
Unfortunately, until 1989 I was oblivious to the seriousness of our many incursions. It really makes you stop and think about the direction our world is taking. Add that to the fact the U.S. has become the policeman in so many places. Should we be sacrificing our young men to help save the people in Bosnia? I don't have the answer to that. What I do worry about is if we were to retreat back to the U.S. and be protectionist and not help other countries in need, how quickly would this world be taken over by the several despots ruling their countries with iron fists?
Four months waiting to be buried is the best we can do for our servicemen? That sucks big time..something is rotten in (Not Denmark)that's for sure. Far Guy just told me someone at Arlington got fired.. maybe it will change things..maybe not. I wouldn't hold my breath.
I hate all the wars..send it the Congress and the Pres to duke it out with these other countries.
We are policing half the world..when we could use our troops at home:(
Wow- I guess I never realized how long/often we've been involved in wars. We're lucky that none of them have touched American soil, but it's so sad to think that ANYONE is involved in war at all. I honestly don't understand how it ever comes to the point where violence is the only answer.
That is sad Iggy and this post brought tears to my eyes and makes my heart ache for those that have and still are fighting out there for this country. HUGS!
I hope you are having a good summer and it isn't too hot & humid for you up there! Hugs!
Yes, very sad!
Unfortunately, I don't think it's been much better over here... *Sigh*
I don't think this was what was invisioned at all. I mean, one of the WWs (I don't remember which) was meant to be "the war to end all wars."
So, why are we still fighting?
I hadn't heard about that 3 month wait time for Arlington. When we were there in May, on a weekday, we were told there were no burials "at that time" so we could take pictures of anything. You would think with 27 a day there would have been. We were in the cemetary well over 2 hours.
The United States cannot be the peacekeepers of the world anymore. It's like that quote about history says, "If you don't learn from history you are doomed to repeat it." We've been repeating it over nad over again.
Where does the family go to cry over their lost loved one??
So sad that we keep repeating history. So? How does all this war affect the dept????
We are still making our way through a PBS Civil War Series. The horror of preventable loss of young lives leaves tears in my eyes.
The history books are full of one war after another and, unfortunately, one lie after another. Where does the truth lie?
I would want me loved one close and surrounded by family - not in the cold grounds of Arlington.
Huge hugs from someone who is having a pigeon sort of day. Yea!
Salute and deepest honor to all soldiers -- past, present and those of the future.
I was just thinking today ... if I were to die, where would I be buried. Where would I want to be buried? Perhaps a morbid thought to some, but I want to be laid to rest somewhere that I would enjoy visiting if I were living.
Hi Iggy. I've not posted much either. Good to see you!
Unfortunately, I remember VietNam all too well, the tragedy of losing a loved one in the war!
So many wars, so many lives lost and families changed forever.
Nothing has changed.
War is made from greed and corruption! When Obama was elected people said gas prices would fall and we would get out of the war! Now gas is skyrocketing and he will stick our nose into Iran and mess with China and their friends next! The man is a maniac! But all in all I think they call it the good ole boys club. It does not matter what color of skin someone has as long as he is willing to sell his soul to the devil himself! My kids have a friend who was in basic training with the USNavy. He was injured and suffers from seizures. They dumped him off like a bad habit and this precious young man lives with his mom and received zero compensation from the military. Congress is too busy passing raises for themselves! Stealing us blind while they make their money on a war we have no business killing our children in! The story never changes. But my dad always use to say "Doesn't matter what people think, God knows and each one of us will be judged supremely by Him!" Aside from praying it is the only comfort I know! God is in charge and I know He is not going to let this world continue in this madness! He will step up to the plate! I trust him wholeheartedly!
But on a cheery note you always have interesting shares. I am very honored knowing you! Thanks! You are a good friend. Anne
I just saw something in the news about Galloway -- that the army was going to award him some kind of prestigious award
I would like to read his book "We were Soldiers Once"
actually if you check out history, I think we have been at war almost since day one.
Post a Comment