This past weekend was my youngest nephew's High School graduation ceremony.

Here he grins for me after I told him I was impressed with his diploma and that I thought it was nice to get a piece a paper for basically continuing to breath for 17 years. I told him college might be a little more "challenging".

He's got a good life - he can bowl 300 games, hit holes in one on the golf course, been accepted into Rochester Institute of Technology and has a fabulous girl friend that graduated in the same class as he did. Look at that smile on her! Her heart is just as big.

After eating celebratory cake and ice cream and having a picnic with burgers and hot dogs - it was time to get out and walk some. My brother lives near the Lehigh Valley Railroad Black Diamond trail, a 12-mile railroad bed that has been turned into a bike-walk trail that meanders through the farms and woods. I have a hard time walking across bridges - vertigo - bridgephobia - whatever you want to call it, bothers me mightily. Fortunately this bridge was at the very end of our walk, so my older brother and his dog walked over it and back - just to be able to say they walked the whole way.
It's a beautiful trail - click here to see some pictures others have taken.
Do you see him coming?
The dog takes the lead! I think she spotted me! Her name is Keilau (after my brother and his wife, Keith and Laurie).

Coming closer and closer!

Hey!! Who's that!!?!
I think this is my favorite picture from the entire weekend. I really enjoyed getting out and walking - and to make it even more exciting, we saw some animals!
As in snakes... four-five foot long black snakes... Chipmunks, squirrels (sorry Charlie, no photos), frogs...
...and a baby deer... just a few days old! A spotted fawn that was mostly stilt-like legs! I would have taken a picture of him/her but I had the dog, Keilau and her leash in hand - and she was going coo-coo for cocoa puffs as the little fawn wobbled off!

20 comments:
Sounds like you had a great time.
Glad you are (or posting about) walking again!
And your nephew looks super happy about graduating!
They look soooo happy!! He's quite the kid, eh?
I didn't know you had the bridge fear. Sorry to hear that. It looks like a great old bridge. What a cute dog! And talk about a unique name. I'd pass on the snakes, but I loved the rest of our walk, Iggy. :):)
I'm not a dog person, but that is one cute dog!
Very nice looking nephew you have there! Bet you were mighty proud. Is he as smart as his dad and uncle? Or smarter?
Looks like you had a nice walk with your brother and Keilau. Too bad about the bridge fear, I'd love to go stand in the middle and look down. I hope this means you're going to start walking more. I love your stories from your walks along the Schuylkill.
congrats again to your nephew, Iggy@ He and his girlfriend make a good looking couple and it is nice to know they are good inside and out (if you know what a mean, great looks and great hearts!)
what a great place to walk off some of that celebratory cake! I'm sure you enjoyed stretching your legs and spending time with your brother and Keilau. I can see why Keilau would want to chase after the young fawn, what a wonderful gift to have been able to see it. You'll carry the memory of it in your mind for a very long time I do believe!!
glad to hear work is busy; always a good sign these days!
I'm with you about bridges. Don't do well with heights or bridges either.
take care of yourself!!
betty
Congratulations to your nephew!! Looks like big hearts and smart brains run in the family!!!
So glad you didn't get any pics of the snakes!!!!! Although the fawn would have been really cool!
Don't work too hard!
I have SERIOUS bridge issues, along with the whole vertigo that goes along with it, I could tell you stories...That is one adorable dog! It looks like a very nice place to take a walk. I need to do that more myself. Congrats to the nephew, it sounds like he's got a pretty good future ahead of him, it's nice to hear good stories like that. (thanks again for reading my blog) ;-)
no foxes? *digs through her fotos of Valley Phorge*
and you sure don't have any trouble driving across bridges that scare the heck outta me (I still think you did that on purpose so you would have a good reason to laff LOL)
Glad you had a great weekend
Congratulations to your nephew! You must all be so proud :)
And that sounds like an amazing walk. I mean spotting a newborn fawn?! That's so cute! And I love Keilau's name. Sounds very Hawaiian.
Congratulations to your handsome nephew on everything!
No photos of Charlie!?! What's wrong with you!
As you already know, I, too, have the bridge phobia thing. It is frightening! That walking trail sounds wonderful, although I could do without the snakes. I'll bet that fawn was great to see.
Glad things are busy at work!
Huge hugs.
Punkn
Congratulations to your nephew and his girlfriend on their graduation! Sounds like your nephew is doing very well for himself so far; hope this continues for him!
Sounds like a fantastic weekend!
Sounds like your nephew has the world in his hands right now. I wish him much success in his new pursuits.
Love the bridge photos. They are beautiful.
Sounds like everyone had a good weekend. Congratulations and best wishes to your nephew on his graduation and what lies before him in the years to come. Congrats to his girlfriend, too. They look like a happy couple.
I'm glad you were able to take a walk along the trail. I'll check out the pictures you linked when I have more time.
Hope you're doing okay. *hugs*
Nice pics. Sounds like you had a nice trip. Good too that things are busy at work. Don't work too hard.
Snakes?! Ah! So scary! Congrats to your nephew- it sounds like he has pretty good future ahead of him. And I LOVE the bridge photos you took! Very cool!
p.s. don't be surprised if somehow i kidnap that dog...
Congrats to your nephew for graduating. He looks happy and so does his gf.
I love the picture of that bridge. I would probably be afraid to walk over it though depending on how high it is. I have a terrible fear of heights.
Your Nephew is very handsome and he has a very pretty girlfriend. They both look so happy on their big day. Dogs are so funny, thanks for sharing the pics :o)
I would enjoy that trail. I can handle bridges. I can't handle climbing grades that are too steep
good looking nephew. family thing.
What a beautiful doggie.
Bridges.. I do okish with. So long as the sides are well made and I cannot see straight down thru to the ground/water/whatever. Bridges like the Huey P Long in N'Awlins, however... *shudders*
Congrats to the nephew!
Post a Comment