Anywhoooooo...
Hidden away in a small cardboard box that was given to me recently by my step-aunt after she found it in my grandfather's cellar (the place where the ghost lives on a lumpy dirt floor) were more pictures. I estimate I now have about 300 "phorgotten old fotos" to sort through - some crumbling away as I lift them from the equally crumbly cardboard box.
As an aside, my step-aunt is now the proud owner of the oldest log house in Quakertown, PA. Let's hope the ghost(s) are good to her and her husband.
It seems fitting that as this is the month of June, the wed-ding-est month of the year, that we should look at some wedding pictures. I'm sure Far Side of Fifty thinks so... :)
So here is one - this is a large photograph. It measures about 8 1/2 by 9 3/4. One of the most interesting (to me) parts is the reversed lettering on the edge of print. I have no idea who the happy couple are - and I'm not positive - but I think my grandparents are standing on the far left behind the girl with the big white bow.
According to my parents, my grandfather's hair turned white a long time ago, perhaps in the 1930's - and no one recalls ever seeing him with dark hair. Maybe Far Side's expert foto-dating expertise can help us out - if these are my grandparents - I would guess they are about 20 and the year about 1930. If the foto date's is much earlier than that - than it couldn't be them.

Stuck to the back of the above photo, is a somewhat more modern foto. When I saw this, my eyes 'phelt' like they popped out! What they heck?!?

At first I wondered if there were any "little people" in my family, and if so, this would be a startling revelation indeed!
But looking more closely at the foto, the little people, seem to be, little as in youngsters as opposed to ...well, very short adults.
I scratched my head and pondered... and yes, Google is my friend... for I found that there used to be a fad where people had youngsters dress up for 'fake' weddings - called Tom Thumb Weddings. The inspiration for this silliness was this:
The Tom Thumb Wedding was inspired by the famous couple Charles Stratton and Lavinia Warren. They appeared at P. T. Barnum's, Barnum's American Museum in New York in the 1800's. Charles Stratton known as General Tom Thumb was deeply in love with Lavinia Warren. It was said they fell in love at first sight. On February 10, 1863 the couple married in New York's Grace Church. It was a Lavish affair.
...Everyone wanted to attend the ceremony. The only way you could get in to see the couple exchange their vows was to have an invite.
Shortly after, "The Greatest Little Wedding," people everywhere were putting on their own Miniature Weddings as plays. The Walter H. Baker & Co. of Boston put out a play 35 years later called, 'The Tom Thumb Wedding." It was published in 1898. Many churches and schools put on theses plays for the fun of it and also as fundraisers.
Source of Quote
When I mentioned "Tom Thumb Wedding," my mom gasped and recalled the setting for this foto. These children were members of my grandmother's church - as their Sunday School teacher, my grandmother was asked to stage a Tom Thumb Wedding as a fundraiser. My mom didn't remember how well that worked out or even when this took place (except "way back") - nor do either of us know any of these little ones in the foto that "suffered" through this bit of "tom-phoolery."
I hope you all have a nice weekend! My youngest nefew (The 300 Game Bowler) graduates from High School this weekend.

20 comments:
I have to go back and read the post again... the first time around I was concentrating too hard on trying to catch a missed "ph" that you should have put a "f" in instead. Looks like you got it all covered though!
Wow! What an elaborate wedding. It kind of looks 20s or early 30s to me, but I would say Far Side can tell you. It really is stunning.
I had never heard of Tom Thumb weddings. What you don't learn blogging... amazing. Thanks for the history lesson. I can't wait to see more. What a gold mine you found.
Oh my gosh...dude...are you messing with my mind? The 'ph' and 'f' substitutions were making my OCD flare. LOL
But seriously, what an interesting post. Never heard of a 'Tom Thumb Wedding'. Wonder if the kids liked it or hated it.
P.S. Glad we are phriends.
I was just admiring the handiwork that went in to making those costumes. Very impressive. It's so fun for me to be included in your endeavors here. My Grandpa born in early 1900's came from Scotland with his Mother as an infant and we know nothing of his Father, could've been scandalous, and my other Grandpa was adopted, another possible scandal, some say Indians may have been involved. So my history seems to be a bit of a mystery. Who knows, no one's ever taken the time to find out. Thanks for sharing!
Something tells me that with your investigative skills, you'll get to the bottom of that old foto.
These "fotos" look well preserved to me. Both looked like they were beautiful weddings...real and Tom Thumb. I hope you find out whether or not the couple on the left are indeed your grandparents. Wouldn't that be great if they were? The kids look cute all dressed up. Must have been a winter "wedding".
Congratulations and the best of luck to your nephew on his high school graduation.
Have a great weekend, Iggy. *hugs*
I can't believe all the flowers at the wedding! Are you sure it wasn't a multiple wedding? Or did all the bridesmaids carry huge bouquets also back then? I'm sure you'll find out more.
I never heard of the Tom Thumb weddings, either. People can be such lemmings when it comes to fads, can't they? That was a lot of work and expense to do one with the kids, tho! My goodness! If you knew the name of the church, sometimes the churches keep good records.
This is going to be fun seeing your treasure trove of old photos!! :):)
how "phun"!!
Very interesting fotos! I suppose the first picture could have been from around 1930. If you know of any historians in the area that are knowledgeable of that era they might be able to better date the clothing, depending on how important it is for you to know more about the foto.
I have also never heard of "Tom Thumb weddings", but those kids do look cute all dressed up. Rita has a good suggestion in checking with the church.
Congratulations to your nephew on his graduation from high school.
that was the cutest Tom Thumb wedding; never heard of that "custom", but what a cute one! They all looked adorable!! Loved your exchanging "PH" and "F" though this entry too! very clever!!
interesting wedding picture too; I hope some day you can figure out whose wedding it might have been so you can share the info with us!
congrats to your nephew!! Wonderful achievement on graduating from high school!!!!
betty
Fabulous fotos!!! Gosh, this is going to be as much fun for US as it is for YOU!!!
The fashions in the first one look more mid '30's to me, but I'm no expert. LOVED the kids all dressed up, especially with their fake ermine muffs - soooo cute!!
Enjoy the graduation and have a great weekend!
Loved the pictures, I just love how they are dressed in the wedding picture and that girl sure has a big bow on her head, hehehe. That is so cute with the wedding and the little kiddies I bet they just loved doing that back then. Happy weekend to you Iggy HUGS!!
I’m not so sure about the little wedding, kinda worries me some????
Aaa, what they used to do for entertainment??? But hey, thanks for sharing the foto nonetheless. Have a good time at the graduation!!
Actually, I bet the kids enjoyed it. Just as long as things didn't go on too long, and they weren't made to stand around for too long.
Hope your nephew's graduation goes well.
P.S. Jaws doesn't care if you use a "ph" or a "f"... It still says the words the same!
I have never heard of a Tom Thumb wedding, but the thought is intriguing. Not intriguing enough to do it, but intriguing.
Those photos are great. I, too, am left scratching my head these days, looking at images that I can only make up my own story about. They are a treasure, though - as you have proven you understand better than anyone else I know!
I hope you have a phabulous weekend!
Punkn
You know me and my phamily! I love the ph in place of f! Not as hard sounding! Hee Hee!
Love the old photos. They are so wonderful. You can use your imagination to take you back to that time and try to figure out who was who. I am glad to see you here and continuing your blog with greatness! You are truly one of a kind! You know, that is a good thing! Have a terrific weekend. A 300 bowler in your phamily! Wow! I was lucky to bowl a 200 once in my lifetime career of bowling! Hee Hee You always make us think ovewr here! Anne
Nice fotos and I know they made you happy.
LOOOVE looking at old photos! I really can't imagine living in those days, though I sometimes wish I did. That Tom Thumb wedding is ADORABLE! The little groom looks so dapper :)
You have two great photos! I have heard of Tom Thumb weddings..very cool!
I would say that the first photo was indeed taken in the 1930's sometime. The bouquets are awesomely huge! Your Grandfather is ever so handsome!!
I hope you visit your step aunt at the log house with your camera:)
phantastic fotos. No Phib! Phabulous!
(:
Post a Comment