Monday, June 20, 2011

My Grandmother's Desk

For many years, my grandmother's desk was in the upstairs room that had my grandfather's recliner chair and console television. There were some wooden baby cradles that served as magazine racks. My brothers and I were always welcomed to stay in this room - and if we got to rough-housing, we were told, not to do so near grandmom's desk.

My grandmother was a huge letter writer. She wrote dozens of letters every week - and many of them at this desk (the rest she wrote in idle moments at work at the family foundry where she answered the phones, did the payroll and kept the books.)

my grandmother's desk in about 1966
My younger brother, who seems to have been destined to go Massachusetts Institute of Technology poses proudly in his new t-shirt in front of Grandmother's desk (c. 1966).

A couple weeks ago, this desk made its way to my neice - who is now its proud owner and is now laughing at this picture of her dad. She polished it until it gleamed and while cleaning it - she noticed a bit of "funny business" inside - and said, "Unc K! What is that?" and I looked closely. It was a hidden drawer tucked away behind some fancy scrollwork. After scratching my head for a bit, I determined how it opened... and out came a stack of photographs I have never seen.

a picture of a motor coach
On top of the pile was this photograph of a charter bus advertising the 7th edition - 1947 Ice Capades in Atlantic City's Convention Hall. The men with the musical instruments are total mysteries to me. I looked up the Ice Capades history and found out they were formed in 1940 in Hershey, Pennsylvania. But there are no markings on this photograph and no explanation for how it came to be in my grandmother's desk.

my grandmother's parents holding her and her brother in their arms
Under the bus (so to speak) was this photograph - I got goose bumps when I saw it - for at long last, I could see what my great-grandfather - the one that had been killed by a train in 1924 - looked like - for here he is, holding my grandmother in his arms. My great-grandmother has her arms around my great-uncle William. Evidently, this photograph was taken in the backyard of their rowhome in Kensington, Philadelphia, it says, "Family of 2314 East Letterly Street" on the reverse.

my great grandparents laughing and smiling with my great-aunt Eleanor
I must of looked a little stunned, for my neice asked, "Unc K? you okay?" and I could only nod mutely - as I gazed upon this photograph of my great-grandparents laughing and smiling as they pose with my great-aunt Eleanor. Eleanor was the baby in the family and years later would move to Chula Vista, California where she became the town's first woman mayor.

the house my great-grandfather was building when he was killed
And then I saw the next picture and my brain came to s screeching halt. This is the cottage that my great-grandfather was building when he was hit by a train at a nearby grade crossing. This photograph is dated September 7, 1924. Eleanor, my Grandmother, and William stand in front of the unfinished building. Little did the young ones suspect that fate had a very cruel twist in store for them - just two months later...

When I saw the unfinished building, a long buried memory came to me - from when I was perhaps seven or eight years old - of a cottage on the Rancocas Creek in Ewansville, New Jersey - my grandfather was given the job of selling this property - none of the children in this photograph wanted to have much to do with the cottage after War World II. My grandmother stayed there with my dad to escape the hot summer in the city and it was a place to keep my dad when he was was ill with the usual childhood contagious illnesses at the time - but outside of that - no one ever went there.

The cottage rotted away from lack of care over the years - I don't think it was actually ever finished. So anyway, my grandfather was told by my grandmother and her brother and sister to sell the place.

My memory comes of the time the place was just sold - and my dad and I went there to remove anything inside that might be of value. I recall only the while we were carrying out a dining room cabinet, I went through a spot in the floor where it had totally rotted and ended up crawling out from under the house pretty well scratched up. Try as I might, I can recall nothing else of substance of the place.

my great-grandfather
Judging from the laughter, smiles, and obvious pride he had in his family, I know I would have liked my great-grandfather. I can feel the sadness of his loss - even through the distance of time and even though I never knew him. My grandmother tucked his pictures away someday before I was born, and never spoke of him beyond some very guarded and terse phrases. I'm glad to get to "see" glimpses of him.

20 comments:

betty said...

Iggy, your family is fascinating. I so enjoy reading about them and what you "uncover". How interesting about that hidden drawer and what a great treasure was hidden in it! It makes you wonder. Did your grandmother purposely keep the photos there even in her advanced age, knowing that they would be found after she passed when would not be reminded of her happy family before tragedy struck? I'm sure she couldn't forget they were there.

I remember my mom talking about the Ice Capades. I think she went to several of the performances as a young adult.

I am so glad you got to see a picture of your great-grandfather. I am sure that helped bring closure to that part of the story, a tragic story nonetheless!

I am sure your niece will take very good care of grandmother's desk!

betty

betty said...

oops, forgot to add, I didn't realize your great aunt was the first woman mayor of Chula Vista. Chula Vista just celebrated its 100th. One day I'm going to have to go to the very small historic building here and see if there is any info about your great aunt.

betty

Furry Bottoms said...

I love your take on life, Iggy! Your family is like a treasure chest... you open it and bazam! All these gems come out. I love that hidden drawer in the desk... what a wonderful desk!!

I have a very old dresser that once belonged to my great grandmother (it is in almost all my photos of the dogs... deep honey colored oak (?) chest of drawers). It has five good sized drawers in it... and the best part? The second drawer opens into a desk. It has lots of cubes in it. I imagine it was a very convenient piece back in the time. I owned this dresser for about 25 years before I found a business card wedged in that desk.... from 1924! It only had a name and a weird simple address from Los Angeles on it. And phone numbers that had letters in it. That is nowhere near as exciting as your discovery of those pictures!

Anonymous said...

I'm sure your niece is going to love that desk!

And what a wonderful discovery. I'm glad you were finally able to see your great-grandfather.

Parsley said...

Love this.

Anonymous said...

I really understand your delight. My brother has been working on our family history and though there is nothing fascinating, unless you consider Florence Henderson is a cousin of mine, it is still so much fun to learn about my relatives.

LadyStyx said...

What a wonderful surprise!

Rita said...

Wow! That was like opening up a little treasure chest! Sooooo glad she found that and you got it open! What a shame it would have been to have never seen these. They are priceless! So-so-so happy you found them. :):)

Texas Gal said...

Knowing you, you were as excited as a 6 year old on Christmas morning when you found those pictures...and who could blame ya? I have so few pictures of my parents and almost none of my grandparents. It is so good that you have found these. I know you will cherish them always. *Hugs*

AliceKay said...

What a great find. I'm glad your niece found the hidden drawer and you found the photos inside. I know how much you wanted to see a photo of your great-grandfather.

The only great-grandparent of mine that I knew was my maternal great-grandmother. She passed away when I was ten years old, but the memories I do have of her are fond ones. Who can forget banging on pots and pans with wooden spoons? :)

Thanks for sharing your family with us. *hugs*

ChicagoLady said...

How wonderful to find those pictures in the desk that seemed to be an integral part of your memories of your grandmother. And to finally have a picture of your great-grandfather, and see him with his family before his tragic death.

Based on the ages of your grandmother and great uncle in the two pictures, the first one, taken in Kensington, would have probably been before 1920. Amazing that the pictures are in such great condition.

It sounds like your niece will cherish that desk as much as your grandmother did.

yellowdoggranny said...

what a treasure...and so are you

Just Stuff From a Boomer said...

Finding the hiding place was a stroke of luck but what was in it was magical. It was meant for you to find so you could tell the story.

Thank you for sharing it with us. I love that these big homes were called cottages. It's a wonder that it was never finished after the train disaster. It's a sad story bur so very interesting.

Deanna said...

Oh wow Iggy. You are walking down some of the same paths I am these days. The history is just fascinating and as they reach out and touch you from the past - when you least expect it - it becomes a tingly moment. Your family is fascinating. I am discovering that mine is too. Keep sharing!

The fact that the photos were in hiding... that generation handled sorrow very strangely (in my mind). I just uncovered a photo of my grandpa's first wife, who died before they had any kids. My mom had tucked it away. I remember her telling me once that she felt she was being disloyal even keeping that photo.

I have run into a bit of writers block - also known as overload. I'm sure that is temporary, but it sure is frustrating!

Hope you are doing well and again... WOW!

Queenie Jeannie said...

What a treasure you uncovered!!! And I know it wasn't just luck that you happened to have been right there - so cool!!! You are your family's Keeper of the Stories!

Hugs!

Parsley said...

Had to come back and tell you how proud I am that you are a bloggy friend. I treasure the connection I've made with you and others. Never had any issue with 'the list' so don't worry, please.

AiringMyLaundry said...

I loved this. I love seeing pictures from "back in the day."

Anonymous said...

Iggy this is such a heartfelt post. The treasures that you find are just the best and I just love reading all the history involved. Its so sad when houses just sit and rot because no one wants them, we pass by those around here like that and I always wonder what its history is. Thanks so much for sharing this with us Iggy HUGS!!

Far Side of Fifty said...

What a great find! At least they didn't end up in a box at an Antique Shop.
It must have been difficult for your Grandmother to speak of her Father. Either that or she was mad at him for dying.
The first photo is very interesting..it doesn't really "go "with the rest of the photos.

They do look like a very happy family! I am thrilled that you have the photos:)

Annesphamily said...

Your phamily is so phascinating! My mother had two cousins, both women who never married and were career girls! Mary was a resiterd nurse but her sister Margaret worked for an attorney who later was a judge in Teller County, Colorado. When he retired she took his place and retired as one of the first female judges! I love that story. But your phamily is amazing! Love to all of you! I love that desk. What a welath of info it stored for so long. I am trying to get back into letter writing but you can not find any good stationery these days! Anyone want to go in business with me? I need the $$ to get this baby off the ground floor! Enjoy your day! Anne