Saturday, June 18, 2011

He is at rest -

funeral flowers

Today I made the trip to the cemetery and saw my grandfather (and step-grandmother) lowered into the grave beside my grandmother - it was a sad ceremony - but it in a way it was a healing one - while waiting for the service to begin, I thought about how my grandmother has waited twenty years for her "tardy" husband to "arrive." I waited patiently.

My step-grandmother's ashes were in my grandfather's coffin and she was buried with him - they shared twenty years together and they were both truly good for each other.

The scattered family (both in terms of geography and in blood-marriage relations) came together, albeit briefly - it was touching to see my second cousin lend support to my step-aunt - they are about the same age - and have two very different view points of my grandfather - view points that merged at a common junction. Complicated family dynamics makes them both "sisters" in a way, as my second cousin was raised by my grandparents (she called him Uncle "Bud" since he was her buddy.) And my step-grandmother's daughter went through some hard times and moved in with her mother and my grandfather - and my grandfather adopted her in all but name.

Seeing them hug each other both at the viewing beside the coffin and at graveside - made me ponder on the odd twists and turns that it life. So - unexpected.

My father got up and spoke during the funeral - and expressed a couple sentiments that had everyone in the audience nodding in agreement. My grandfather loved to work (he retired at the age of 92) - and he was an honest, very much respected businessman. While in attendence at the funeral were some that worked with (and for) him for decades - none of them were of my grandfather's generation. He truly was the last of them - out living all his sisters and all of the sister's sons and daughters - it seemed my grandfather was the "old man that worked with my father" to many of those I shook hands with at the funeral.

And one of those people recounted how, after my grandfather had sold his grandfather thousands of cast brass ship fittings over the course of nearly thirty years - my grandfather discovered that he had originally set the price wrong and too high, and the error had gone unnoticed - That very week, he had all the sales receipts for thirty years dragged out of very dusty storage - and he set about recalculating the "right" price - and then after double-checking his work, he drove many miles to give the customer a "refund" check worth tens of thousands of dollars.

That was my grandfather.

And that is why his customers "always came back" and many became my dad's customers.

funeral flowers

As emotional as the week has been - remembering all the memories my fifty very active and very full years shared with my Grandfather brings me (my head actually overflows with them) - I have a couple things to fall back on - and one those is the kindness of my friends (that means you!) and the knowing no one could ask for more - either me or my grandfather. My grandfather had a long, busy, very full life doing everything he ever wanted to do. He was surrounded by people that respected, admired, and loved him. He saw the world - literally four dozen or more foreign countries - and how it changed over a hundred years (which is to say, just about everything since the horse and buggy days).

I had a couple surprises too - two collections of old photographs were discovered - photographs I have never seen...

old photos from around 1910
I will scan them in and write about them - when I can. I've a lot of blog reading to catch up on too.

Some of you will remember my writing about my grandmother's father would was killed when crossing some railroad tracks by and oncoming train... there will be an update -

20 comments:

AliceKay said...

Beautiful floral arrangements. May they both rest in peace, Iggy.

I've been thinking about you and your family so I hope the positive thoughts were felt in some small way.

You have a treasure trove of old photos there with you now, and I can hardly wait for you to share them with us. I bet you'll find some great stories to go along with some of those pictures, too. :)

*big hugs to you*

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this with us and thank you for letting us in on some of the memories. He sounds like such a fine person. You'll miss him a lot.

Just Stuff From a Boomer said...

My heart is with you. He sounds like he was a very special man. I'm looking forward to your pictures and the stories about them.

Funerals bring people together that you want to see but under such circunstances that you can't enjoy the reunion. Hope you got some stories to share.

Deanna said...

The love of your Grandpa and your Grandmothers shine through your words, Iggy. They are at peace and united again - smiling down on you.

It is becoming my experience that with death there are always a few surprises. I look forward to the update.

Huge hugs!

Deanna

Rita said...

Beautiful flowers! That story of how he dug out all the receipts for 30 years and repaid the difference tells exactly what type of man he was. One to be very proud of! Your grandmother was probably very glad to see him. ;)

You have many friends who have sent best wishes and condolences. You are as special a man as your grandfather! :) :)

Martha said...

A wonderful tribute. Keeping you and your family in my prayers.

betty said...

I look forward to the update Iggy. I always look forward to your posts, but just sad the last one had that hard news about your grandfather's passing. He lived a wonderful full life, to have the love of two women and to share times with them, truly a blessing. To leave behind a legacy of honesty in business, boy you don't hear that too often these days of people fixing a mistake like that over the years, a very honorable thing! Your grandfather truly was a gentleman. I am glad the service today helped to bring some healing, some closure, some unity within the family.

I hope you are doing as good as you can, Iggy. Just remember we care very deeply for you so take care and update as you can, but do definitely take care of you!

betty

yellowdoggranny said...

such a loving tribute..wish I was there to give you a big ole west, texas hug.

Matty said...

I can't hardly fathom anyone, even an honest person, going to those measures to calculate the error, locate the customers, and return all that money. Wow.

Wonderful tribute Iggy.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hey Iggy, A sad day full of emotion for sure. I have been thinking of you. What a treasure trove of old photos, I cannot wait to see more of them and to hear about what else you discovered.
You got a lead on the train accident..super.

I have a weird sense of humor when it comes to the dead and dying. Sometimes I wonder if it is just the reverse of birth, you know when you are born..the parents and grandparents wait and wonder is it a boy or a girl..what will they be like. In death and the crossing over, everyone on the other side knows exactly who is coming and they will wait with open arms and then have a big party. ( I am having a big, big party when I get there!!)
I am sending you a hug:)

Queenie Jeannie said...

What an amazing man he was! You come from incredible stock, Iggy!!!! I know this past week + has been so hard on you. You've been in my thoughts and prayers! HUGS!!!

Anonymous said...

I loved reading about your Grandfather Iggy, he is a wonderful man and wow on retiring at the age of 92! It was so touching to read that your Grandmother was laid to rest with him :o) I can't wait to see the pictures. I hope you are having a peaceful Sunday HUGS!!

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful post!

*Hugs*

aladdinsane12 said...

It sounds like your grandfather was quite a man- anyone who will go through such trouble to give a customer a refund should be given a huge pat on the back. I'm sure he will be missed by many and it sounds like it was a lovely ceremony. Hope you are doing okay.

ChicagoLady said...

Big hugs to you Iggy. I can't wait to hear about the pictures and what you've learned about the train accident.

jewelrybyrebecca said...

I may never really understand how families can become so complicated. I'm so glad to hear that everyone came together in support. (Big Hugs) I hope your healing continues. Can't wait to hear/read your stories.
Take care!!!!!

Parsley said...

Reading these updates since your loss. I'm so glad you've had some treasures to recapture some memories and history. HUGS

Texas Gal said...

*hugs* wish I were there to give you a real one but this year I can't make another trip back :( You know you are in my thoughts and heart always!!!

sugarlens said...

Your granddad sounds like a honest good man. This was a beautiful tribute.

Annesphamily said...

Your grand dad was an amazing man. He was a true gentleman, a very eithical and honest soul. I am sure he is making some rounds in Heaven with the Lord today! Beautiful sentiments and the flowers are so gorgeous. Anne