I've not been blogging much lately - there is a lot going on. This past Friday, I helped my 101 and 3/4 year old grandfather move from his house into a nursing home. I've been going through some sentimental journeys as I pack away some of the things in the house. Old pictures - times of excitement and fun for the family captured in photographs - Paintings on his walls, books he read and kept, some of them "for as long as I can remember" - items he held dear - my grandmother's treasured Queen Anne's desk that still has the postcards I sent her from summer camp in the 1970s tucked away in one of the cubbies...
And today, on my way home from work, I learned that one of my cousins had passed away last night.
My parent's wedding picture... My mom and dad look so impossibly young. It has 53 plus years now since that happy day. The little boy in the front is my mom's nephew Roy. Roy's older sister Joyce stands to the left. My cousin Janet stands in front of my dad. The three young women to the left of my mom were her high school classmates - One lived in Vermont and has passed away (Janet), the other lives in Chicago (Mary), and the no one know what became of Judy.
The men to the right of my Dad (from left to right) are Harold, is MIT college roommate (and the original "Big Bang Theory" role model), his cousin Jack Hawn, who passed away at the age of 43 in 1975 and my Dad's cousin and close friend while growing up, Warren McClurken. He and his wife went out for dinner and when they came home, he sat down and quietly, but suddenly, passed away.
Suddenly, I grow fearful of what the future holds.
RIP Warren. You will be sadly missed.
Updated (4/15/2011):
Obituary:
William Warren McClurken, a resident of Langhorne, passed away unexpectedly on Monday, April 11th, 2011 at his residence. He was 73 years old.
Warren was the beloved husband of 49 years to Diane McClurken. Born in Philadelphia, he was the son of the late William W. and Margaret Smith McClurken.Warren was a graduate of the Pennsylvania Military College and co-founder of the Scargill-McClurken Insurance Agency. Warren thrived on the happiness and success of others and was known by friends and colleagues as a profound gentlemen, astute businessman, amazing golfer, and loving family man. Sharp wit, a great sense of humor, a never ending positive attitude, and a constant smile and twinkle of optimism in his eye were his hallmarks. One of his highest proofs of character was that he related to so many people on so many levels no matter their age, background, or position in life, and he loved nothing more than to spend time with his family and friends.
Warren was also an active member of the local business community, supporter of numerous charities, and an avid golfer who was always eager to help anyone learn the wonderful game of golf. Warren served as a guidepost to many on how to carry oneself as a man, a husband, a father, and a friend. He will be dearly missed.
In addition to his beloved wife Diane, Warren is survived by his loving son William W. McClurken and Angie Rosillo of Delray Beach, FL, the Williams Family of Wilkes Barre, PA, and many colleagues and friends.
Tuesday, April 12, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



20 comments:
Loss of loved ones does make us pause and think. HUGS
Your granddad is a very special man. He has to be, to deserve a grandson like you. I hope he adjusts to nursing home life, as much as that is ever possible, and that you are able to adjust to the fact that you and your family have done what it is best.
Life does get more precious and fearful as those before you are suddenly no more. I can only imagine the sadness your family and especially your dad are feeling right now. The wedding picture is a treasure. The looks on those children's faces tell stories. And your mom and dad look so happy.
It is especially neat that your grandma kept the postcards you sent her from camp. She must have loved you very much.
RIP Warren, and all of the other loved ones we have lost.
Oh Iggy, I'm so sorry. That does seem very sudden and it makes you wary... but don't be so fearful of the future because you can only control so much. I wouldn't want you to miss out on stuff because you were afraid of what might happen.
(((HUGS)))
I am sorry for the loss of Warren; I am sure he will be missed greatly by all of his family. I have to think though, even among the grief and the sadness with his passing, what a peaceful way to pass, a dinner out with his beloved and then to simply pass away. It does make us aware of the fragility of life and how quick those we love and cherish can be take away from us; makes one to be careful to treasure times together and to always part with kind words, just in case.
I enjoyed looking at the wedding picture and seeing who was part of the wedding party. It is interesting that no one knew what became of Judy; we choose our best of friends to share in that special day thinking we'll always be the best of friends, yet often the case we do lose track of them.
I am sorry that your grandfather had to go into a nursing home, but I am sure it was the best decision for his safety and health. I am sure it is with bittersweet memories that you go through his house and part with what will be parted, save what is important and find treasures like those postcards your grandmother kept.
take care of yourself Iggy!!!
betty
Oh my gosh- what a shock! And so young. That's always a startling reality check. I'm so sorry.
I also hope your grandfather enjoys his new life- he seems to have made it pretty far, so I'm sure this will just be a new adventure for him.
And I love the photo! I wish weddings still looked just like that :)
Iggy, I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your cousin. And for it to be unexpected must be difficult for his family.
God bless your grandfather. Still hanging in there at almost 102 is amazing. Long life is in your genes.
((HUGS)) I'm always a little fearful. Try not to spend too much time there and take a longer look at the good times that are around right now.
It's a shame your Grandfather has had to go in to a nursing home, but at least he made it to a good age before it had to happen. And I know it wouldn't be happening if your family didn't feel it was for the best.
I'm sorry for your family's loss... R.I.P. Warren!
*Hugs*
Being nearly 102 before you're unable to live alone is quite a huge accomplishment! But it has to be really hard for him to deal with all that change. I hope he adjusts well to living there.
I LOVE that your grandma kept all your post cards from summer camp!!! :):)
Sorry to hear about your cousin, Warren, but what a peaceful way to go. It's harder on the survivors, but how wonderful to come home from being out to dinner with someone you love and just quietly pass away. Honestly--I'd love to die that way.
His other cousin, Jack, was so very young. 43! You never know when your time is up. Look at the long, long life your grandfather has had!
I love going through old pictures. No one can ever know what another person's life was actually like. It makes you ponder--and be grateful for what you have. Sounds like Warren had a good life. What a wonderful wedding photo.
My heart goes out to Warren's wife.
Big hugs!!
I know how difficult it was for you and your folks to move your granddad into a nursing home. It's a very hard decision to have to make. I hope he continues to lead as full a life as he can for as long as he can. You have been blessed. Both of my grandfathers passed away in their mid-70s...one to illness and one to tragedy. My kids never knew either one.
You and your family have my deepest condolences at the loss of your uncle. If I could choose the way I go from this life, that would be the way. So peaceful.
Very nice picture of your parents' wedding party. I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to read this last night, but now I understand why you were on the subject you were when we were talking. *hugs to you*
You are so sweet to help your grandfather out. He's fortunate to have all of you in his life.
Sorry about your cousin. It is strange when they go so fast. Yet, I'd want to go like that too. Hope you are dealing with it okay.
Enjoy going through your grandfather's items. It is so much fun. I loved seeing all the things my mother kept. Hopefully this will help you for when your grandfather evantually passes. Congratulations to him for living so long!
Don't fear - there's no place for it.. God's got it all in control and He is best at knowing when things should happen - we'll "get it" after we get to meet Him. My prayers for your comfort and peace are underway! Blessings, Heather
Hope your granddad is adjusting well at the nursing home. It's hard to see parents/grandparents get old.
I'm so sorry for your loss, Iggy. My hugs and condolences to you and your family. And I know I'll also have a hard time when my parents, aunts and uncles get to be that age.
oh sweety, I'm so sorry...huggs from texas.
Life moves on. What a wonder thing that your Granddad could live at home until now..amazing!
I am sorry about your cousin..sometimes death sneaks up on you quickly..it is very hard for the family when they have no inkling.. there are so many adjustments.
That old wedding photo is a treasure:)
my condolences. Sometimes I think it is best to die on the go -- rather than to slide into obscurity and die slowly and alone.
I am sorry for your families loss Karl.
101 and just now moving to a nursing home??? THat is quite the accomplishment.
I am sorry to hear about the loss of your cousin. I know how hard it can be, I just lost one of my cousins in March. He was 33. It is just so sad.
I am so sorry for your loss, Iggy! He sounds like a wonderful man, and you were very fortunate to have him in your family. Hugs.
Post a Comment