Saturday, April 30, 2011

Mr. Watson, come here, I need you!

For some months, Alexander Graham Bell had been trying to create a working telephone. Within the device, a liquid was used as an electical conducting medium between two electrodes. Now, plain water is a conductor, but not a good one for small amounts of current so Bell decided to add a small amount of sulfuric acid to the water to enhance conduction. While adding the acid, he spilled some on himself on the evening of March 10, 1876. In that instant, he yelled out "Watson come here, I need you!"

Mr. Watson, his assistant, heard him over the other end (receiving unit) of the phone. And with that - Thomas Augustus Watson ran to Bell's aid into and right out of history.

So what became of Mr. Watson?

After 1881, once he was satified with his work on the telephone, he moved on. Aided by royalties from the telephone, the 27-year old toured Europe and when he returned to the States in 1883, he settled down in East Braintree, Massachusetts to try his hand at farming. He soon discovered that farming was hard, manual work and he soon tired of it. He turned one of his farm buildings into a machine shop and attempted to build steamship and boat engines, an enterprise that eventually lead to the forming the Fore River Engine Company.

In his mid-30s, he and his wife Elizabeth returned to school, attending first the Lowell Institute, and later MIT, to learn about geography and paleontology. While exploring the geography of a local hill, he helped discover a new genus of gastropods (snail and slugs) that now bears his name, "Watsonella".

Even while he was studying rocks, he managed his growing boat engine company. In 1901, he moved the company to Quincy, MA and expanding into shipbuilding, and was soon building cruisers and battleships for President Theodore Roosevelt's navy. He left his company in 1904 but the company still exists today.

Watson once again remade his career and joined Frank R. Benson's company of Shakespearean actors - which actually performed in Stratford-on-Avon in England.

Apparently Watson’s was given to singing songs into the handset during telephone demonstrations with Alexander Graham Bell and had a fine singing voice. In 1912, he returned to his East Braintree, Massachusetts home and filled his time by with amateur stage productions and giving lectures on this and that until he died on December 13, 1934.

Source

17 comments:

Rita said...

Very interesting! He was quite the versatile guy, wasn't he? Little bit of this and little bit of that. Wow! I bet he would have been an interesting fellow to chat with. :)

Thank for your research, Iggy! Very cool!

betty said...

I like that he was creative and tried his hand at a bit of this and a bit of that; what an interesting life he had! LOL, I just read Rita's comment as I'm typing this and realized she said the same thing I'm saying :)

thanks for this tidbit of interesting info Iggy!!

hope you are having a great day!

betty

AliceKay said...

Interesting bit of history I never knew before. :)

Dorkys Ramos said...

Sounds like he lived a fairly interesting and random life. Thanks for the history lesson!

Parsley said...

What a fun history lesson. Much we can each take from this story too.

yellowdoggranny said...

wow..I never even wondered what happened to him..but that's very very interesting..someone needs to make a movie about HIS life.

ChicagoLady said...

Fascinating story about a man whose life was overshadowed by the greatness of another. Thanks for sharing.

AiringMyLaundry said...

So interesting. I love history!

Queenie Jeannie said...

Sounds like he marched to the beat of his own drum!! You have to be either very brave or very rich to do that, lol!!!!

Deanna said...

What an amazing life! In today's world I suspect he would not have been able to accomplish these things. The rules and regulations would have squashed him! Great bit of history.

Huge hugs.

Furry Bottoms said...

Makes me wonder how many other people out there who were really involved with inventions and such we don't know about. I think Mr Watson had a fine life!

Pamela said...

Watsonella. Oh my... ha ha ha. That is really quite humorous..

Matty said...

Despite his own accomplishments, he was overshadowed by Bell and the invention of the telephone. Just like Buzz Aldrin who was the second man to walk on the moon, no one ever remembers the assistants.

Martha said...

Wow, I never knew!! I'll be back from my blog break soon Iggy ((hugs))

Anonymous said...

Sounds like he'd have been an interesting fellow to know and chat with. :)

Yankee Girl said...

I think you need to compile your blog posts and try to sell them as a history book.

Annesphamily said...

You are such a wealth of information. I always enjoy stopping by because you share with all of us great stuff!