Saturday, April 16, 2011

Lost, Forgotten Photo...

While going through some of my grandfather's things after his move to the nursing home, we found this old photograph.


It shows my grandfather standing on the back porch of his sister Marion's home in Palmyra, New Jersey, along with his three sisters, a dog named "Buddy" and my father slouched in a chair.

This photograph was taken in either 1945 or 1946 - and was once hung by a thumbtack in my grandfather's workshop.  Sometime in the middle 1970's it was taken down and framed and moved to my grandfather's office at the family business.  When my grandfather finally retired (in his late 80's), he took hardly anything home with him - but this photograph disappeared about that time.

It was found in a small box left in a corner in the attic, and it was full of things he cleaned out of his desk drawer - an old steel tape rule, a small magnifying glass (for reading blue prints), a small brass award plaque from the PMA (Pennsylvania Manufacturers' Association) and another from the AFS (American Foundry Society) and other detritus from a long and successful career.

I'll keep everything that was in this box, but will re-frame the photograph and enjoy it the most.

My grandfather (b. 1909) had three sisters, all of which he has long out-lived - from left to right - Joanna Rachel (b. 1916), Mary Dreby (b. 1920), and Emma Marion the oldest (b.1907).  My dad, half-hidden, draped over a chair, looks pretty bored with the procedings.

I remember (or have at least one memory of) each of these sisters.

Aunt Anna lived in Kentucky (and later Arizona) and I remember in particular, a camping trip on Skyline Drive in the Great Smokey Mountains with her - she was an accomplished aviator - and her husband had a to me, unusual name "Lyman".

Aunt Marion was always a delight to be with - I remember her musical chuckle more than anything else - and always strove to make her laugh.  I was in the house shown in the photograph a few times - the last time in the early 1980's.  I think I can probably find it again.

Aunt Mary was the one I saw most often - and probably loved the most.  She was a wonderful, caring person and was married to Uncle Jim.

They may be gone - but they are not forgotten and soon, I'll have this photograph hanging in a spot of honor were I can see it every day.

18 comments:

yellowdoggranny said...

I love finding old pictures of my family...they looked so young and had their whole life in front of them..nice memories.

Nancy said...

Who is the little guy peeking out between your grandfather and Joanna?

Intense Guy said...

Hi Nancy!

Goodness - I didn't even notice him. He is my dad's cousin Jack Hawn (Marion's son). Thanks for pointing him out!

A picture of him later on is here during my dad's wedding:

http://intenseguy.blogspot.com/2011/04/william-warren-mcclurken.html

Martha said...

I love these old photos. Someday when I'm all moved and settled and life slows down just a bit I'm going to post some of my treasures too. I have some so old that I can't even begin to guess when they were taken.

Thanks for all the great comments today. Hope you are having a great weekend! :-)

Matty said...

I love looking at really old pictures. They elicit fond memories and conjure up great stories. Yes, I too saw the little face peeking out and was going to ask about it until I noticed that someone already pointed it out.

AliceKay said...

Great photo with lots of fond memories to go along with it. I bet you'll be looking at it and remembering those memories for many years to come. :)

betty said...

I didn't know your dad or the other little fellow when I first looked at the picture; glad you pointed out your dad and Nancy caught the other little one in the picture! I am so glad the picture was "found" and will continue to be treasured by you Iggy! I am also glad you have memories of your great aunts too!

betty

Rita said...

I love this photo where your dad is in the back--a bored young man--ROFL! These old pictures are just priceless. I'm glad you are going to have it out where you can see it every day. :):)

Deanna said...

Your dad definitely looks bored. Nancy beat me to it, asking about the little leprechaun peeking out. Family is to be treasured - and treasure them you do! You will always look fondly on that photo. I'm so glad you found it back!

Far Side of Fifty said...

It is a keeper..the little boys have attitudes! :)

Pamela said...

that little guy peaking thru reminds me of something my brother would have done. Same facial expressions, too

spacegirl60 said...

I love old pics. Thanks for letting us know who the little one was peeking through your grandfather and his sister.

jewelrybyrebecca said...

I love pulling out old photos. It's so nice to give them a new life in a spot of honor.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful find. I love looking at the older pictures. Thanks so much for sharing with us Iggy HUGS

Martha said...

I love that you know so much about the folks in these photos. I recall some of my great aunts/and an uncle on my mom's side, but nothing past my grandmother on my Dad's side. My brother has been working on geneology (I know that is spelled wrong, but can't figure out why...) on both sides, but has not had a great deal of luck on my father's side either... if I recall my paternal grandmother might have been an orphan?

Yankee Girl said...

Oohh!! That's so great and meaningful. I'm jealous that you can track so much history from your family. Mine has all but disappeared.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like another great find, with more happy memories atatched! :)

ChicagoLady said...

What a great find!