Friday, April 1, 2011

Groundhog Tails

"Peabody, here," with another episode of Peabody's Improbable History. It is time to use the WABAC (pronounced "wayback") machine and learn more about yet another one of history's fateful moments.

Our story takes place in the once lonely "hills" of upstate Pennsylvania, where once men were men and women liked them that way.

Under the shadow of a lump called Kellogg's Mountain there once lived an unassuming, slightly-built woman that had only a few passions in life to distract her from the day-to-day passing of the clouds overhead, an occasional rainbow and the wildlife meandering through the nearby woods and fields. Those passions included listening to music, taking photographs of icicles by the thousands and sharing both the music and photos on the Internet with her friends.

She was a demure, thoughtful and caring person. Standing up for her friends against any slight and letting them know she had them on her mind when they were ill or not feeling well. Her biggest trips away from that pastoral little corner in the shadows of Kellogg's Mountain included trips to the beach to the southeast, the lakes further north, and a singular frightful trip to a ladies room in Wichita Falls, Texas. But we will speak no more about that - this is the story about that woman's passions and how the Internet brought the great world beyond the hills into her trailer...

Now, this seemingly harmless, caring, loving woman, who doted on her daughter and grandson, lived her life somewhat vicariously, connected to her friends by the slenderest bit of twisted wire. A wire that allowed her to share and find the music that she loved as well as the photos and videos she took - with the world. And when that wire failed... Oh heavens! Pity the poor soul that failed to fix it quickly and efficiently! Time after time, "The" cable guy came to her door with feeble words of how that little twisted wire wasn't going to be fixed quickly...and time after time, the sounds of the shovel grating through the red shale rock could be heard, most often on darkest nights of the new moon.

There grew up a local legend of around the missing cable guys...guys that would ride out to the isolated glens and vales in plain colored panel vans and never return. If one were to believe the legends, it tells of a cable guy graveyard - tucked into the mists found in the deep shadows of Kellogg's Mountain, out yonder, past the unassuming, slightly-built woman's trailer...

But surely that is all but silly piffle. Or so this historian thought, until he found, deep in the archives, a yellowed poster...

a wanted dead or alive poster with groundhog Punxsutawney Phil on it saying he's wanted for making a bad winter's end prediction
"Hmmm..." he thought to himself, "The legendary winter of twenty-eleven... I wonder?," as he dug through the papers in moldy boxes until he found a few photographs, stuck together in an old-style, USB memory stick...

a dead groundhog lying in the grass
After carefully activating the memory stick, he found photos of a dead groundhog, without any sign of what had killed it...and looking more closely, the historian noticed ligature marks around the poor creature's neck...his eyebrows crinkled as they did when he knew he was looking at something seriously mysterious.

a picture of alice kay's backyard with the dead groundhog photoshopped into it
"These seem to be old crime scene photos... and I do believe that's Punxsutawney Phil...and that mountain in the background! That could be none other than Kellogg's Mountain..." Looking through the photo's more rapidly, with steadily growing horror...

same picture of alice kay's backyard but showing tombstones in the distance
"What's this? ... Oh my dear heavens! Irrefutable evidence of the cable guy graveyard!" "And what's this?"

a gravestone saying here lies Punxsutawney Phil, he was a good groundhog but a truly bad weather forecaster

"Oh, Mister Peabody!!"

:)

16 comments:

AliceKay said...

LMAO You crack me up, Iggy. You need to thank "Mr. Peabody" for describing me so...umm...well. LMAO

Thanks for making my day. *hugs*

(good digging if you found the graveyard) :p

Furry Bottoms said...

Iggy!!! This had me cracking up!! :)Thank you for being so entertaining!

betty said...

I was trying to figure out who you were writing this about, but I'm thinking based on AliceKay's comment, it has to be her. Very well written, Iggy. I got hooked in the story very early on! Loved what was on Phil's gravestone :)

too funny!!!

betty

Pamela said...

Phil was correct for our little valley. Today it was in the wee 70s. Beautiful


As for the Cable guy -- I've been feeling kinda onery towards him myself.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I admit it..I did in the groundhog..it was the snow that made me do it:)

Rita said...

Wasn't Mr. Peabody from the old Rocky and Bullwinkle show? Amazing lifespan if it is really him--hehe!

This was a real funnybone tickler! I was chuckling all the way thru this nefarious tale.

I think I may know of her, but I'll never tell! Goodbye, Mr. Phil. We never understood yea silly babbling up here in my neck of the woods in the first place. ;)

Heather said...

You should consider writing! Very articulate and enjoyable - and let's not even get started on the imagination! Quite an enjoyable read with my morning coffee. Thanks!

Annesphamily said...

You are a wonderful writer! I am cracking up. The world is filled with so much sadness and despair and here you are lighting up our lives with our morning coffee and such! I truly loved reading this story. You have a creative mind! I have missed visiting but trying to catch up to speed with everyone. Nick runs in the 1 and 2 mile in track today and fortunately the field is near our home. Think wonderful thoughts and pray for him. His achilles has been giving him a fit on his left side. Have a terrific weekend. Anne

Martha said...

Aww poor Mr Peabody!
Have a great weekend Iggy :-)

Martha said...

You have outdone yourself...

Poor Phil!

Intense Guy said...

Rita,

Yes, Mr. Peabody was the dog with the bowtie that hung out with the boy named Sherman on the Rocky and Bullwinkle Show. I can remember his even-toned voice with the clearly pronounced words even today.

:) Iggy

Anonymous said...

LMAO!

Deanna said...

I guess I've known you an AK for longer than most... I knew almost immediately who you were talking about. This was so perfect and so funny. I just can't figure out how she had the honor of doing Phil in when there are so many others out gunning for him this year! LMAO. A perfect story for a very sweet friend of ours. Kudos to you. Oh, Mr. Peabody!

yellowdoggranny said...

you really really made me laugh..

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness I say again Iggy what a story teller you are my friend I loved it thanks so much for the laugh LOL

HMMM...I wonder who that slightly built woman is??? hehehe...

Yankee Girl said...

I love that the tombstone is right next to a park bench. What a great place to be buried!