Friday, April 1, 2011

Friday Fragments

TGIF!

Whoever said "Happiness is the cool side of the pillow" was a pure genius.

I've encountered a couple IE9 "gotchas" - one of them while typing the last post. I clicked on the "Publish Post" button and nothing happened! Apparently the "little program script" that kicks off when you do that is blocked by IE9's default setup.

Fortunately, my younger brother was hanging around and walked over and said, "Try 'compatibility view'." So I first had to find the menu bar which IE9 hides (right click up around where the tabs are and click Menu Bar) and then click Tools and then "Compatibility View." That did the trick and I was able to publish my thank you's.

I always feel so good (and then guilty for doing so) when someone else besides me has a problem with "sideways videos." I still remember my mortification of having to post a sideways video because I took it holding the camera on end to maximize the scene!

Fortunately, I've since learned there are at least a couple ways to "fix" them. I often use the Movie Maker program that comes with Windows XP to edit the video. Within that program (hidden away) is a way to flip your video over so it's upright.

Since Blogger videos are such a hassle, I've gone to posting mine on Youtube and "embedding" the video in a blogger post. Once you upload the video to Youtube, you can rotate it and put captions on it, amongst other things. There is a menu bar option in the "My Videos" area called Video Editor.

It works bascally the same way as Movie Maker does - you "drag" your video down into the "video timeline" area, and right click on the thumbnail - you will then see an option to flip your video right or left. Save your change, rename the video project, and click publish. Voila - sometime later, you will have a new video that is right-side up.

a field with sheep in it It is still cold and wintry here in southern Pennsylvania and some lucky animals have the right idea... wool coats.

Each day, to and from work, I see a small flock of sheep at the "Dutchy Church". A short while back, the sheep had their lambs, so there are about 20 cute little "guys (and girls)" running around kicking their heels. I always think about Punkn when I see them.

When the weather is less "icky", I will pull over and take some pictures of the lambs. Some of them are black and some are beige colored and some seem to be a little of each. This is what I see when someone says, "Pumpkin Patch" and not this...

a field with pumpkins in it
As silly as it might sound, I was driving to work one morning and looking at my hands on the steering wheel when I was reminded of an old Elementary school memory trick.

Make two fists and put your hands together so you can see your knuckles... From left to right, the knuckles and valleys tell you which months have 31 days. Knuckle - January, 31 days. Valley - February, less than 31. Knuckle - March, 31 days, and so on...

You will notice July and August are adjacent knuckles from each hand. I stopped there and pondered, "How did this work out so well? Did they design the calendar this way on purpose?" When I got to December, I noticed I had a spare valley and knuckle leftover. Ut oh... someone goofed up.

:)

the painting we tried to give that 'girl' that claimed she had cancer, remember her? the artist sent it to me... it is called journey, and shows a moon looking down on a dirt path that wends its way through a woods with a solitary person on it
I recently received this painting and hung it on the wall in the entrance way of my house. It has quite a history behind it. For now, I'll just say this - each day when I see it, I ponder the human condition, both the ugly and the good, and attempt to have the painting tell me what it is trying to say to me. I cannot hear what it is saying clearly because of the clouding, emotional baggage that comes along with its history.

I think the artist, who I greatly respect and am fortunate to know and call a dear friend, has created a very evocative image.

I'd like to hear what it "says" to you - and then I will tell you it's history.

16 comments:

AliceKay said...

Thanks for posting the "how to" for flipping videos. I forgot how you told me to do that when I had that problem last year.

Whenever I see sheep, I think of my grandfather and the sheep he raised when I was a kid. I remember lambing season very well.

We woke up to sleet covering everything, and there's still a rain/sleet mix coming down out there, but thankfully, no snow. The storm went north and east of me.

Have yourself a good Friday. *hugs*

Parsley said...

Somehow the painting makes me scared and sad but also hopeful. I think I see something in it that reflects a life that I know.

Deanna said...

It is still gloomy this morning but they are promising sunshine and warmer temperatures. I hope they are right!

It is a good feeling to know that you think of me as you wave at your wooly friends. Jim and I were walking outside yesterday and looked at the fields and we both sighed and said we miss our sheep. I think we are going to try to get some to raise up over the summer.

My first reaction to the picture is I love it. It is a piece of art that automatically makes a person feel and I suspect I would feel something different each time I look at it, depending on where I am with my life. There is so much going on with it!

When I first looked at it, my mind went to the long and complicated patchwork of life. At first the trees loomed dangerously, but then they felt almost protective. There is always hope. Well you asked and those are the thoughts this painting brought to my mind.

I'm looking forward to hear the history of the painting.

The horse in my treasured picture belonged to my brother's father-in-law, who lived next door to him. He was a beautiful animal. Very gentle.

Hope you have a fun and restful weekend Iggy, and thank you for the tips. I have a video of Reagan that I turned sideways and never could figure out how to flip it. You are a gem. I haven't downloaded IE9 yet... I hate change!

Anonymous said...

Interesting post and the computer talk kinda lost me but then the knuckle thing pulled me back lol that is just funny how they do that, loved the pictures of the sheep and pumpkins and the painting is beautiful and what a wonderful gift. I hope you are having a good day HUGS

Martha said...

Good to see you this dreary morning! Now which church is the "Dutchy" church... on Valley Forge Rd???

The painting is awesome and I can see the dark and the light.... I'm not good at interpreting art, I always hated those exercises in school. I think though it looks like someone is finding their way from darkness to light!!! That's all I got!

Furry Bottoms said...

My first immediate thought was that it was the scarecrow or tin man from Wizard of Oz going down the yellow brick road.

Then the moon reminds me of the Van Gough "Scream" painting.

This painting could be about a man (or woman?) finding his/her way to the future.

Matty said...

I never knew the knuckles thing. You learn something new every day.

Rita said...

The computer talk is literally like a foreign language to me. Honestly, I'd need an interpreter. I was never good at foreign languages. LOL!

Love the lambs, tho. :):) I was never taught the knuckle-months trick, either. I think I lived a deprived childhood.

The painting--I liked it right away. Very spiritual to me. Looks like it could be either day or night but, either way, I see a traveler on a clear straight golden path. The arms look relaxed. The person is looking forward and the sun or moon is bright (strong shadow) and guiding the way. I love the bright oranges, yellows, and is that silver scattered along the sides of the path...the tall majestic trees that almost seem protective and are tipped in light. Could be one of the many dirt roads up in northern Minnesota. I'm very curious about the history now and who painted it. :):)

Have a wonderful weekend!!

betty said...

I'm very curious with the story behind that painting.Its like the person in the story is walking out of darkness into light after going through a particularly bad time in their lives, I don't know......(I'm not good at interpreting pictures)

I think those sheep need a corgi to herd them :) They are cute!!

there is an IE9?? Glad you could make it work though to post your last post :)

interesting about the videos, haven't ventured into that yet but if I ever do, I'll have to come back and reference this post of your's Iggy for advice when I get stuck :)

all good Friday Fragments I do believe. I hope it is a good weekend for you!

betty

Pamela said...

I'll have to think about the painting.. I appreciate the colors and the shadows cast

I remember that knuckle/month now that you mention it -- and just save those extra knuckles one of those calendars that gives you the two extra months (bonus)

Far Side of Fifty said...

Ah yes..I am an expert at interpreting art..well maybe in a past life.
I see dark colors..to me those are strong colors.. the forest is scary looking..but if you stay on the path you will be OK. The Moon will light the way ( Walk into the light..I couldn't resist that)..those are some tall trees..must be in Oregon:)

Annesphamily said...

The painting is interesting. It appears to me the person is searching for their way and the moon seems to be the only light in their path. Art is wonderful because people see so many different things.
The knuckles story is cool! I was too busy having my knuckles, back of the head etc. slapped by a mean ole nun in parochial school so no time for that! But a patient last week, a small girl was making an origami and doing the pick a color, pick a number thing. I laughed with the girls dad saying it was a special class girls were taught in school, no boys allowed! LOL! Your photos are great and I always can use a learning lesson, being the technically clueless one here! I like the lambs. I would have made a rotten farmer otherwise. I could not kill the livestock and such for food! Perhaps I would have made a great vegetarian!

Anonymous said...

I love sheep! :)

I used to be able to do all that video flipping stuff... Then people went and made it so we had to upgrade our versions of Windows... *Sigh*

yellowdoggranny said...

baaaa..I don't understand computerese..

spacegirl60 said...

Out of the darkness, following the moon. We will soon find the dawn of a new light which becomes the start of a new day.

Given that I have had the hardest two years of my life I am now follwing the moon out of the darkness and going towards a new dawn each and every day.

Yankee Girl said...

I suck at interpreting art so I am not going to even try.

Thanks for the fun knuckle trick reminder! It has been so long since I have even thought of that!