Wednesday, April 20, 2011

February 20, 1970

...found in a box of old pictures from my Aunt Bea.


The letter reads:
February 20, 1970
Dear Aunt Bea and Uncle Bill,
Hi How are you(supersized)! I am fine
I miss you very much  I like to see you.
Guess what? Kirk (my younger bother) said he misses
you. How's Janet (your daughter)?, does she play
baseball? I play basketball in the winter.
I wish spring was here.
Love, Karl
P.s. ( kisses ) xxxxxxxxX (smack!)

Some things never change - 35 years ago I was wishing Spring would get here!

My Aunt Bea still lives in the house I mailed this "gem" to - in Carlsbad, California.  Uncle Bill was a Navy man, an avid bass fisherman and ham radio operator (Call Sign: WZ3P) and died in 1998.

21 comments:

Yankee Girl said...

This is a gem!

You keep finding such good stuff!

yellowdoggranny said...

that is just the sweetest thing ever..but then so are you.

Parsley said...

You were such a precious kid...I can just tell!

Treasure that gem.

Martha said...

Awww, that is adorable!

jewelrybyrebecca said...

So sweet! I like that you signed off with a (smack) cute.

Martha said...

How sweet! Such good penmanship!

What we had 3 min of sun today???

AliceKay said...

Aww...that was really sweet. :)

(some things never change)

Rita said...

That was the first thing I noticed...the waiting for spring has never left you. ;)

What a treasure! What makes it super special is that they kept it tucked away. :):)

I do hope it is warming up for you over there.

Far Side of Fifty said...

What Aunt wouldn't keep that sweet letter..what a treasure:)

Heather said...

What a sweet memory your can relive since this letter was kept - I'm not an expert in any type of handwriting but I love how you keep switching between printing, cursive, slanting, straight up and down. Isn't it cool to see things that we did when we were little.
So fitting that how many years later we are still dealing with cold springs - where is global warming when we need it? ;-)

betty said...

Carlsbad is a wonderful place to live, Iggy!! How cute with the letter!! What a keeper indeed!! And I hope spring has finally come to your neck of the woods!!

betty

Deanna said...

Dang man, you put a smile on my face! How special! I was thinking the same thing about Spring... still wishing after all these years. Your letter was a great indication of the sweet and kind man you were going to grow to be. It was thoughtful and caring - just as you are today.

Happy Easter dear friend, in case I don't "see" you before then.

Punkn

Anonymous said...

That's such a sweet letter, and a great find. I'm glad you're finding so many nice things with happy memories atatched.

Anonymous said...

Oh Lord Iggy this brought tears to my eyes LOL I absolutely love this post and reading your little letter omg how freaking sweet and so cute. Thanks so much for sharing with us HUGS!!!!

Pamela said...

my mind is wrapping around the fact that she saved it.

ChicagoLady said...

Cute letter! And I love how you go back and forth between print and cursive.

Sandra said...

Imagine that...that's fabulous!

sugarlens said...

Too cute, you were such a sweet kid!

Queenie Jeannie said...

Absolute proof that you have always been sweet, thoughtful and kind!! Hugs to you dear friend!

Happy Easter - Buon Pasqua!

Anonymous said...

Ha, that is too adorable! Love the random baseball question :) P.S. What kind of "smack" is that, exactly...?

Dorkys Ramos said...

I actually read this a while ago and forgot to comment on how sweet I thought this note was. Isn't it fun/nostalgic to stumble upon our childhood work and realize a) how BRILLIANT you were (hehe) and b) how quickly time passes us by? Hope you've been well, buddy :)