Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Post Christmas 2010

As most of you know, the east coast was hit by a snowstorm late Christmas Day and into the day afterward. The worse of the coastal storm passed to the east of me, sparing me the 10-18 inches they got in many places in New Jersey.

I wasn't completely spared of the white stuff. Monday morning meant going to work and shoveling out the company parking lot.

the company parking lot covered with about 8 inches of snow
This is the only reason I dislike snow!

If it would only fall on the grass! While I was shoveling and shoveling and shoveling, I took breaks to warm my hands - the wind was gusty and the snow powdery - and laughed at some comic strips.

One of my favorites is Mutts by Patrick McDonnell.

earl the dog and mooch the cat saying it needs to be 20 degrees warmer where is the thermostat!
The snow is actually melting away pretty quickly and the forecast calls for temperatures in the upper-forties the rest of this week. I guess Mooch found the thermoshtat.

I enjoyed this one too - as I've been researching cousins lately.

no two snowflakes look alike, but mooch says, these two might be distant cousins! they look similar!
I had a nice Christmas. Both of my brothers were in town with their families and my older brother, my nephews and I went to visit my Grandfather in the afternoon. We did a bunch of crossword puzzles, took walks on the canal, had three dinners together, shoveled snow at my parents house, and they went ice skating (I can't).

I received some awesome presents - I'm very blessed with friends and family. I will write about a few of the gifts later - and yes, SpongeBob SquarePants got unwrapped.

18 comments:

Parsley said...

I would have taken some of that snow off your hands if I could have.

So glad you had a nice Christmas.

sugarlens said...

We hardly got anything down here, not even a millimeter! But I guess it's all good since we got a driveway to deal with now!

betty said...

Unlike Parsley, I don't want any of the snow, but I have to say I really did like shoveling when we lived in Montana, something about having the time to think as you are clearing paths was soothing to me, go figure :)

I'm glad you guys didn't get the
"brunt" of the storm and that everyone had a good Christmas! Neat that both your brothers/families were able to be at "home" for the holidays. I am sure your grandfather did enjoy that visit so very much!

Cool that you had a good Christmas too, Iggy. I look forward to seeing what you share as you unwrapped your gifts.

Best wishes for a very good 2011!

betty

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a good Christmas. We did not get any snow this year, but after last year's storm, we were ok with that.

Happy New Year!

Rita said...

Looks like you need a snowblower! ;)

So glad you had a nice Christmas with family. I'll be waiting to see your new treasures. (They must be treasures if they involve Mr. SquarePants.)

I've been following Mutts since I saw it on your blog. They're so sweet. We've been seeing a lot of cousins up here and more to come, I hear. ;)

Very best to you and hope you have a wonderful New Years, too!! :) :)

Yankee Girl said...

Shoveling the snow is my wintertime cardio.

I still hate it though.

Glad you got spared for the motherload!

Martha said...

I'm glad we had just a small amount of snow, even though I did not have to shovel. It just makes things logistically so much easier.

Sounds like a wonderful Christmas with the clan!

The comics are cute!

Bring on 2011!

AliceKay said...

We lucked out...got a dusting of snow and that was it. We were just west of the storm as it passed. I think Rita is right, tho. You need a snowblower for that parking lot.

I'm glad you had a nice Christmas with your family. It was great hearing your older brother and his family could join you for the holiday. I was also happy to hear that a lot of you went to visit your grandfather. I bet he enjoyed that.

I used to love to ice skate. Spent most of the winters as kids on either skates or sleds. It's been several years since I've been on my skates. My feet probably couldn't handle it now. My toes would probably freeze before I hit the ice.

Can't wait to hear about SpongeBob SquarePants being unwrapped. :)

Anonymous said...

Im so glad you enjoyed your holidays Iggy and Im so sorry you had to shovel snow :o( I hope your back is not hurting. I liked your comic strips thanks for sharing those. I hope your week is going well HUGS

yellowdoggranny said...

glad you had a merry Christmas..
we had rain for Christmas..will get your cook book monday and mail it out that day...love you

Deanna said...

That parking lot is way to big for you to be shoveling! I'm glad you didn't get more snow than you did.

You can't beat Mutts. I agree with your header.

You are so lucky to have had a chance to spend time with your Grandpa!

I'm glad you didn't get hit harder by that storm. I keep watching the news clips of NYC and shudder.

Huge hugs.

Queenie Jeannie said...

Sounds like you had a lovely, if cold, holiday!! Can't wait to see about all this SpongeBob stuff...

AiringMyLaundry said...

Brrrr...

I'm not a fan of snow on the roads either. Makes driving scary.

Anonymous said...

I wish y ou could have sent that snow to me. Ours started melting Monday, and now it's all gone! :(


I'm glad you had such a great Christmas! :)

CTG Ponies said...

I'm so glad that we didn't get slammed with snow!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Doesn't look like much snow to me..but I suppose it is a matter of perspective..a shovel perspective:)

Lickety Splitter said...

I have never had the need to shovel snow a day in my life. Sometimes, I have to scrape ice off my car windows during the winter, but that's about it. My real complaint about winter is the lessened light ... I love sunshine. Lots and lots of sunshine.

LadyStyx said...

bah! My friends are all lucky puppies. Been begging for the snow all season and we're lucky if we got an inch total. The last 3 storms we were expecting skirted clear around us.