- one of those things is just where this accident occurred. If you look at the scene closely, you will notice that there are two tracks at this location.

I found a dusty old book which states, that the Camden And Burlington County Railroad (later the Pennsylvania Railroad's Pemberton Branch) was only double tracked between Smithville and Birmingham, New Jersey. This is the branch line that took hundreds of thousands of troops to Fort Dix during WWI and WWII.
I also found out where my great-grandfather was building a summer cottage. I've marked the street map I got from Google Maps below. If you click on it to "biggify" it, you will see two streets named Railroad Street and Indian Trail. These streets ran next to the tracks back when there were tracks there (they were removed twenty or thirty years ago).

On the satellite version of the map, I've drawn the length of railroad that was double tracked. The scene of my great-grandfather's accident is somewhere along that red line where a road crosses it.

This last picture was taken in 1961 and shows the remains of the Ewansville's train station. The second track has already been removed (around 1958)- and the trees and plant life is once again reclaiming what it can from man's impermanent works. Indian Trail Road is just to the left.

There are many visual "hints" of similarity between the first and last pictures.
And now for the what gave me goose-bumps. The main road in the area, Route 206 used to (and in my memory) go under a railroad bridge (removed in 1987) as it heads south from Ewansville to Vincentown - I've been down this road countless times from a tender age of weeks-old to the present - this is the route I take to go to the New Jersey shore. Could this have been the grade crossing? When was the bridge put in and the grade separated? I do not know - but the accident happened near here.
The second goose-bump causing result of my research into this accident was two-fold, I discovered the accident occurred November 9, 1924 around 8:30 AM. While trying to uncover this date with near desperate and quickly growing frustration, I encountered a family tree for the McClurken family on the MyHeritage website. And lo and behold, I discovered the date of death of my great-grandfather William Spence McClurken.
Having been stymied, mostly because every other male McClurken in my family tree name is "William" and every other female's name is "Margaret", I grew dizzy in my efforts to keep who is (or was) who straight. And there, on this MyHeritage website, was the many generations of Williams and Margarets all sorted out and neatly delineated. This glorious family tree is the work of the grand-daughter of my great-grandfather's brother.
I've never known any of my Grandmother's family beyond her brother and his children. I was beyond elated. And just to cap things off - she has a large picture of my great-grandmother's family - and once the rush of the holiday season is over - she will send me a reproduction of it!
Today, I also heard one my college buddies had a heart attack over the weekend shoveling snow, and underwent triple-bypass surgery. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family as well as with Rita of Soul Comfort's Corner's daughter-in-law, whose mother was recently diagnosed with late stage cancer.
"Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see the shadows."
- Helen Keller

18 comments:
That had to be so exciting to find that entire family tree all mapped out!! Wow! Happy for you!
Strange that you have been driving past that spot all these years. We have double tracks running thru Moorhead and Fargo up here and there are regular accidents where people see one train go by and think they can cross--and then get hit by a train coming the opposite direction. Maybe that is what happened to your great grandpa?
Sending prayers for your college friend and thanks so much for mentioning Leah's mom. All prayers welcome, right? :)
Hope your week started out really grand! :) :)
What a fun heritage/historical search. I wouldn't have a clue how to start that...I think my family has done a lot of leg work on that front, so I'll have to hit up my aunts and see what they've uncovered.
I'm sorry to hear about your college buddy's heart attack and the woman who is now facing terminal cancer. I am glad advances have been made in medicine, so that your college friend has another chance at life. I hope the woman can find peace in the midst of her suffering.
I'm happy for you that your continued ancestry search led to a treasure trove of connection thanks to another diligent family member.
P.S. Miracles do happen, so perhaps all is not lost for the woman. Prayers and hugs!
absolutely fascinating, Iggy, all that you are finding with your relatives! so much uncovering and persistence you are doing to find closure to some things and to learn more about other family members. All amazing!! It is that time of year, isn't it, when people end up with heart attacks because of the over stress of snow shoveling (or problems with putting up Christmas lights, typed a few reports of mishaps with that myself)
just pace yourself and be well in whatever you do in the days ahead!
betty
I'm glad you were able to uncover some of the mystery. How strange that you have been driving past that spot so often and never knew it.
I hope your college buddy is OK.
I can read the excitement in this post. I'm glad you were able to glue together so many bits and pieces and come up with a logical story of where and what might have happened. Now the pictures I was looking at the other night make sense. :)
I'm also glad you were able to connect with a member of your extended family. I bet that picture she'll be sending you will be a treasure. It'll be like Christmas all over again. :)
Prayers for your college friend for a speedy recovery, and prayers for Leah's mom. I believe in miracles. They happen every day.
Keep your face to the sunshine, my friend, and have a great day. *hugs*
OOoooh...goosebump revelations are the best!
Sorry to hear about your friend. That just rips at the heart.
Hey..Part of the Mystery is solved..and isn't it something that you have driven that way many times.
I do hope your friend recovers and my prayers for Leahs Mom..cancer sucks.
You just keep searching..isn't it wonderful that you didn't give up! I am anxious to hear about all the Williams and Margarets after they are sorted out. AND and Old Photo too..:) :)
Isn't it great when the pieces finally start to fit together. And how cool is it to find a long lost cousin? I always thought it great when families honored other family members by naming their children after them. It never occurred to me what a nightmare it causes when researching geneology.
I hope your buddy is doiing ok. My uncle underwent quadruple bi-pass surgery last week. It is amazing what Dr's can do these days.
I will keep Leah's mom in my prayers.
Hope you are following Helen Keller's advice. I'm certainly going to try to.
makes you feel a little like Colombo don't it?
Iggy, if anyone could get to the bottom of it, you could. You have quite the nose for digging. Maybe in addition to your heritage business, you could be a private eye digging up all the evidence on people.
Wow, when you set out to get some answers....look out!!! Good for you.
Cool...interesting take on life...
Iggy that is just so wonderful and you surely deserve it after all the hard work you have been doing with your research, I know you cant wait to get it, HUGS
Yay!! Don't you just love the internet sometimes???
I hope you are sleeping better than I am....as in I'm NOT!!
I hope your friend recovers quickly and fully!
HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!
oh my what a great story.... you would make a great detective lol... maybe you should think about changing jobs :)
x
we ran into two distance relatives while searching .. in similar fashion. Was very exciting!
And then... I have cousins living in the same town as I am that I ignore because I have nothing in common with them.
Post a Comment