Thursday, September 9, 2010

Weekend Fast Foward

I've started to write this entry, or continue with it a half dozen times now - and have just not been able to put the words down. By now, last weekend is nearly a week ago -

the ship store at the houseboat wharf with signs saying fresh live bait! and chicken necks!
Labor Day Weekend - Ah, a time to head for the houseboat and hope Hurricane Earl would stay well off the coast of New Jersey. My parents planned to meet me there after taking the Cape May - Lewes Ferry across the opening of the Delaware Bay. My dad is crazy like that. As it turned out - the hurricane caused the cancellation of a number of ferry crossings that day, but not the one my folks were on. My mom said the boat was "rocking and rolling", and my dad was just disappointed, saying "it was like riding across a mill pond". They go see movies at theaters and come out with contradicting reviews too - so you just never know with those two.

I left work a little early on Friday and got down to the wharf in time to shop at the ship's store - unfortunately they were fresh out of Chicken Necks. Chicken Necks are used as bait for Maryland's famous Blue Claw Crabs. The nearby hurricane meant the skies were gloomy and there were short periods of drizzle but not much wind - perfect conditions for catching some crabs -

empty swimming pool
Failing to get the chicken necks, I decided to take a swim. I had the whole pool to myself - as everyone else seemed to be busy crabbing or battening down their hatches.

the rideculously cute dog in the boat next door
I was happy to see Barley's head pop up when I walked to down the dock. This little dog is so ridiculously cute and so ridiculously friendly. I find myself asking his mom if I can take him for a walk and just pat him silly.

Kero dog foot stool
Speaking of cute dogs, I spotted this one in the Chestertown Farmer's Market. Tori Z's Kero dog! I didn't buy the little stool but I did buy some cucumbers, tomatoes, and some eggplants. I love cucumbers and eggplant. I'm rather fond of Kero too!

chestertown town dock
Down the street from the Farmer's Market is the Chestertown Town Dock. This dock is open to public and sailors come ashore in dingys from their boats tied at moorings in the middle of the river. This year's crop of ducks and geese was a good one. I watched a little boy fearlessly throw popcorn to a goose that was easily 6 inches taller than he was. I think his mom was going hysterical as the goose made threating moves and rather odd noises, but he just stuck to eating the popcorn at his feet.

Having an extra day down at the wharf meant having some time to explore some of the adjoinign countryside. One such place is down the Chester River around a bend in the river that is home to Camp Pecometh called Spanish Neck. Spanish Neck is a peninsula formed by the confluence of the Chester and Corsica Rivers. On it lies a 758-acre farm named Conquest and a Conquest Beach park. The farm dates back to 1669 and a land grant by Lord Calvert, the founder of the state of Maryland.

For some interesting but confusing history of the area, go (here).

buffalo at Conquest farm
At any rate, I was surprised to encounter some buffalo while walking along an equestrian trail near the beach. I don't know if many of you recall the movie, "Bless the Beast and the Children" with its haunting "Cotton's Theme" but it popped into my head then and hung around for awhile. "Cotton's Theme" was later revised slightly and called "Nadia's Theme" for the Olympic gold-medal winning gymnast from Romania.

After a pleasant 3 mile stroll through the countryside at Conquest Beach and another 3 mile stroll at Adkins Arboretum, I had worked up and appetite so I headed to the wharf with high hopes...

3 steamed and ready to eat crabs
...that there would be some steamed crabs to be had! And corn on the cob! Yummy!

I must admit the very first person that ate a crab must of been very, very hungry indeed... I can imagine his (or hers) surprise when they found out how good these taste!

Liisa and Ted, the couple in the boat next door - have caught hundreds of crabs this summer. She was saying she's used every crab recipe she knows to prepare them!

barley with his stuffed turtle
After I ate, I felt like Barley... ...it was time to take a pleasant snooze in the warm afternoon sun.

24 comments:

Pamela said...

When our daughter lived in Delaware (Dover) we saw people using chicken for crabbing. Right there in the ugly smelly swampy tidal flats.

I'd rather eat the chicken, but, then again I'm not a crustacean person.
(No I'd not rather eat chicken butt. worded poorly)

Furry Bottoms said...

Sounds like you had a pleasant weekend. Your Dad makes me laugh... rocking and rolling waves = mill pond to him, ha!!!

I am so not a seafood person. Unless they're DEEPLY fried to the point where you can't taste of smell the fishiness. And you're right, how in the world did anyone figure out that crabs had meat in them to begin with!

Oh, this reminds me of crabbers in Oregon. They're terrifying.

Furry Bottoms said...

AND! Barley is stinking cute!!!

Anonymous said...

Ewww if I had to eat crab I would starve to death LOL I think that is funny people use chicken necks to catch them, geez those crabs must be huge lol Looks like you had a wonderful Labor day weekend and Im so glad Earl stayed away from us all :o) I hope you have a good day Iggy HUGS

jewelrybyrebecca said...

Ah, it's seems as if you had a very nice weekend indeed! Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself. Wouldn't it be nice if weekends like that came around a little more often???

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the perfect end to summer. I chuckled at your comment on crabs. Who knew they would be so good?!

AliceKay said...

I'm glad you had a nice weekend away from the rat race of every day life. It sounds like heaven. I enjoyed seeing your pictures (the second and third time doesn't matter...i still enjoyed them) and I'm glad you found the words to go along with them.

I'm glad your parents were able to make the trip over on the ferry to meet you. I've been on that ferry twice...and both times I felt seasick. :( The first time it was night, and I was pregnant with Marty. The second time we took the kids over and back from Cape May while on vacation. The ride back was hard on Karen and me. We both felt sick.

When I saw the chicken necks sign, my first thought went to something else. LOL

The Kero stool was cute. The person who made it has the face so lifelike.

It sounds like your walks were nice and relaxing. I checked out Conquest Beach...$600 a day for non-residents? (my jaw dropped to the floor and i had to pick it up to continue...lol) I bet seeing that buffalo was kinda neat. I saw some in Texas last summer, and they were huge.

You can have the crab. Give me pizza or cheesesteak any day. :)

Barley is one cute little dog. The turtle toy is cute, too.

I hope this weekend will be just as nice for you. *hugs*

betty said...

that dog stool was absolutely the cutest thing I ever saw! and I saw a picture of a corgi on whatever that was next to the stool! that would have been a fun place to visit I do think!! your 3-day weekend sounded like it was a good one, Iggy. I'm glad despite the threats of Earl that you were still able to go and enjoy doing some fun things. Those crabs looked great; honestly, the only thing I think I have ever had crab-wise is imitation crab meat; I just don't think we get much fresh crab here or if we do, I don't know why we don't do anything with it......because I do like sea food.

I have to laugh at the description of the ferry ride between your mom and dad; too cute!!

thanks for sharing your weekend with us, Iggy! and now tomorrow starts another one!!!

betty

yellowdoggranny said...

you get more enjoyment out of life than anyone I know..another reason why I love you.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Your crab looks yummy..we in the midwest never get anything fresh so it tastes yucky, you are fortunate to get the fresh stuff! We cook our check necks and make soup!
That buddy of yours Barley is pretty cute!
It is good to hear that your parents have differing opinions..your Dad must be feeling good! :)

Lickety Splitter said...

Now, that looks like a perfect vacation weekend! Of course, I think anywhere one can see the ocean, a river or a lake is the perfect place to vacation. You and Barley appear to be living the good life!

Heather said...

What a wonderful weekend. I feel like I went on a mini vacation just reading through your post. Thanks for taking me away from the programming - for a little bit anyway.

Deanna said...

I am now pissed at myself. I left a very long comment and somehow deleted it rather than posting it! I worry about me.

Barley looks about as sweet and the guy that feels like him. Your weekend sounds wonderful - even with the threat of bad weather.

The crabs look scrumptious. If I were on the coast, that would be the very first thing I'd order. It is a shame they were out of chicken necks... is there a substitute bait?

Thanks for the wonderful story filled post. I was definitely beginning to wonder what happened to you! I'm hanging in there - keeping my head above water. The soup was vegetable beef - one of my favorites. But then I like most soups - or food in general!!!!!

Huge hugs! We are heading to the Lake this weekend for a little R&R.

Yankee Girl said...

Fresh crab sounds so yummy...

I can't believe there are so many people who don't like it! That's ok, more for the rest of us.

Sounds like it was a peaceful weekend.

junyah said...

I have a question for IGgY,what do you know about wooden Duck Decoys down that way? The Chesapeake bay area was a heaven for duck hunters years ago,and there was several people from that area that got started in making of the first Decoys. The Ward Brothers come to mind.I'd like to see a blog on Decoys if your up to it. Thanks Ya Ole Pal JR ..

Anne Johnson said...

This was a terrific year for crabs. They are seriously my favorite white meat.

sugarlens said...

I went crabbing often as a kid and we used chicken legs/necks too. They were so easy to catch. Much better than fishing!

Joy De Vivre Design said...

That sounds like a wonderful time. I am glad that pesky storm didn't ruin your plans. Barley is adorable!

AiringMyLaundry said...

I'm a weirdo and I don't like crabs.

Or any type of seafood, really. Unless it's seasoned REALLY well.

Rita said...

What an interesting weekend! Now you have me following another blog--hehe! All that old paperwork and photographs is fascinating to me. ;)

Barley is so cute it's almost sinful! That chair immediately reminded me of Kero, too. Swimming, geese, buffalo, and crabs--sounds like you had a great time. :)

Queenie Jeannie said...

What a fabulous way to spend the weekend hun!! I'm jealous, lol! Those crabs look scrumptious too!!! I have to ask,...do you only eat the legs, or can you eat the center portion too?? I've never had that kind before.

I love eating buffalo as well. It's a salty, rich meat and ohhhhh soooo gooood!!!!! Not being a dog lover myself, even I can attest to Barley's awesome cuteness, lol!

I hope you're having a great week so far! Hump Day is soon upon us!

Sandra said...

That dog is ridiculously cute! What a great post! You have a terrific voice and so much to say. Glad I stopped by!

Anonymous said...

Well, with the exception of the crab eating, that sounds like a great weekend to me!


I wouldn't mind some of those corn on the cobs mind.

I've never seen a Kero stool like that. I'm going to have to see if I can find one. That would be so cool to own!

I wonder what Kero would think of it?


By the way, sorry for the delay in replying...

MarmiteToasty said...

Goodness you are so lucky to get out and about to some beautiful places....

The little dog is just the cutiest, and my jacob is still desperate for a dog, but as yet I still havent given in..

Ive only had crab once and that was out of a tin LOL..

x