Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Drake Equation

This past weekend, my Dad and I took a rather exhausting, but exciting, motor coach tour from Washington DC to the wild mountains of West Virginia in order to ride a couple amazing train rides. I hope to write about the train rides soon but its been a crazy week since I got home and time is not permitting a whole lot of writing or reading (but I'm trying to catch up with you all!)

The first stop of our trip, however, was the National Radio Astronomy Observatory in Greenbank, located in the depths of Monongahela National Forest. About an hour from the observatory, no one's cellphone could get a signal - and it's by design - as the radio signal from cellphones and even digital cameras - interferes with the huge radio wave collection dishes.

the big radio dish as seen from the science center cafeteria
The National Radio Astronomy Observatory (NRAO) operates the Robert C. Byrd Green Bank Telescope (GBT), the world's largest fully steerable single aperture antenna.

The GBT is described as a 100-meter (328 feet) telescope, but the actual dimensions of the surface are 100 by 110 meters. The overall structure of the GBT is a wheel-and-track design that allows the telescope to view the entire sky. The track, 64 m (210 feet) in diameter, is level to within a few thousandths of an inch in order to provide precise pointing of the structure while bearing 16,000,000 pounds of moving weight!

Used for scientific research into the wonders of our colossal universe, the isolated site was first used in the 1950's by a Dr. Frank Donald Drake to look for little green men.

the big radio dish as seen from outside
Dr. Frank Donald Drake (born May 28, 1930, Chicago) is an American astronomer and astrophysicist. He is most famous for founding Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence (SETI) and creating the Drake equation and Arecibo (located in Puerto Rico) Message. The Arecibo Message was a "greeting card" beamed out into space asking for alien life to get in contact with us "lonely" humans. As far as anyone knows, no alien has ever gotten the message.

The Drake equation (sometimes called the Green Bank equation) is an equation used to estimate the potential number of extraterrestrial civilizations in our own galaxy, the Milky Way. It is used in the fields of exobiology and the search for extraterrestrial intelligence (SETI). The equation was devised by Frank Drake in 1962.

The Drake equation states that:

the drake equation is a math formula
where:

N = the number of civilizations in our galaxy with which communication might be possible;

and

R* = the average rate of star formation per year in our galaxy
fp = the fraction of those stars that have planets
ne = the average number of planets that can potentially support life per star that has planets
fℓ = the fraction of the above that actually go on to develop life at some point
fi = the fraction of the above that actually go on to develop intelligent life
fc = the fraction of civilizations that develop a technology that releases detectable signs of their existence into space
L = the length of time such civilizations release detectable signals into space

Values based on "current" best estimates,

R* = 7/year, fp = 0.5, ne = 2, fl = 0.33, fi = 0.01, fc = 0.01, and L = 10000 years
result in

N = 7 × 0.5 × 2 × 0.33 × 0.01 × 0.01 × 10000 = (only) 2.31 civilizations.

Which isn't very many given the billions of stars in the Milky Way. Many hours of effort have been expended searching for ET and as yet, no sign of any has ever been found.

What would happen if we did find such life?

humankind's radio, and later television, broadcasts have been beaming into the deep voids of space for nearly 100 years now, any ET would likely will learn of us humans by hearing and seeing such shows as news reports of violent war and silly shows like Howdy Doody, I love Lucy, Get Smart, and Gomer Pyle, USMC. I wonder what do sort of opinion of us humans might an ET form?

I personally hope there is other (putting aside the question of intelligence) life out there. I have not thought through the ramifications of what such life might mean, should we discover it (or it discovers us). I'm certain our world's religions would be greatly shaken, if not stirred.

21 comments:

Matty said...

Iggy, all those fractions break down into fractions which means even more fractions. In other words, if there was life out there, they would have sent back a postcard by now.

But I'm glad you enjoyed the trip.

AliceKay said...

I'm glad you and your dad enjoyed the trip. I can't wait to hear about your train rides. :)

The National Radio Astronomy Observatory looks like something I'd like to see someday. I've always enjoyed learning about astronomy, space flight, and what "life" might "out there". That equation baffles my mind tho.

I hope you're having a good day today. *hugs*

Lickety Splitter said...

I'm curious if there is life out there in space, but I'm not overly eager to make eye contact with it in a dark alley, or in a brightly lit alley as far as that goes.

You sure are a traveling man! I always love the photos and your travel account. Keep on keeping on!

jewelrybyrebecca said...

Sounds like you had a very enjoyable trip! (Good for you!)

I imagine that there has to be another life form out there...somewhere.

betty said...

I'm thinking teens wouldn't be happy to go on such an adventure with no cell service :)

sounds all interesting with Drake's equation; amazing that he thought it out, designed it, things are being communicated out to the world beyond us with hopes to see what is out there if anything.....

not sure about what could be out there, but maybe it is not for us to know at this point in our existence, seeing how the Bible doesn't mention anything and I'm thinking God would let us know if he wanted us to know and if such "little green men" existed

I do hope you have a chance to write about the train trips, I'm sure it was an adventure!!!

betty

Parsley said...

What an interesting trip. You know...there may be other 'life' out there. If not in our galaxy, in another. Some things we may never know.

Anonymous said...

My mind went POOF when I got to the equation part LOL I loved this post Iggy how fascinating and I sure hope nobody ever receives that card out there about us lonely humans LOL

I can't wait to see and read about the train rides. Looking at your pictures with the mountains in them makes me want to be there so bad.

Im glad you had a good weekend with your dad, HUGS

yellowdoggranny said...

I think we're the gr.gr. gr(etc.) grandchildren of the first people of the universe..and we're what happens when you fuck up..

Martha said...

Hope your trip was great - just trying to read about it made my head spin! Thanks for all the catch up comments Iggy and sorry I haven't been around more often lately - life and all ::sigh:: Hope all is well in your world my friend.

Anonymous said...

Glad that equation wasn't in your title ~ don't do math. ;)

I hope, hope, hope I am still alive when we or they make contact.

Martha said...

okay, that equation just HURTS my head. I totally think there is other life out there!!!

Hope to hear about the train rides. I love that you spend so much time with your dad!

f8hasit said...

Once again, I am a smarter person after have read your blog.

However, it also shows me how much I just don't know.

Thanks?
:-)

sugarlens said...

Okay, all those weird characters make my head hurt, but I can't wait to see pictures from your train ride.

PS. My hubby absolutely believes there are others out there.

Rita said...

I have always thought it rather arrogant of us to believe that we are the only planet with life forms. Considering what we've done with the living over the history of the planet, "intelligent" might be a debatable point amongst others in the Universe--if I were them, I'd probably steer clear--hehe!!

Didn't the movie "Contact" deal with that SETI group? I know I have seen movies with that as the base. I've always been fascinated by the concept and would love to be here, too, if we ever make contact. If nothing else so I could brag and apologize--ROFL!! ;)

Glad you and your dad made the trip. Would love to see more pictures of the train trips! :):)

Anonymous said...

Perhaps it's the things being broadcast that's stopping the other life forms from making contact? I know I'd be reluctant to make contact and make my presence known if I saw some of the things on TV and that was all I had to use to base my opinion of the planet on. Even if they know to disregard the fictional TV shows, the news reports are enough to put you off. Perhaps the message was received, but the reputation of mankind is such that no other life forms wish to make themselves known to us?


I liken it to new neighbours moving in. If you see new people pulling up on motorbikes, wearing leathers, looking like they never had a bath in their life - let alone had contact with a razor - and with tattoos galore all over them. Then you will naturally mistrust them, and keep your distance. Even though they could be very polite, well mannered, kind, and considerate people under all of that. You wont want to take the chance that they could be the roughians they appear to be, so you would keep away, tell your kids not to go near their house, and avoid eye contact... "just in case."

Perhaps it's a similar situation preventing alien life forms from answering Earth's call?

Rita said...

LOLOL!! Tori!!

Pamela said...

I've never doubted that life is elsewhere. What I've doubted is their desire to come to this place. We have sooooo many problems.

by the way, I think my neighbor might be from somewhere out there (as sung by Rondstadt & Ingram) hee hee.

Deanna said...

There is no doubt there is life out there and yea such a discovery might rock religions. I wish I knew more about space and astrology but I'll have to admit it eludes me. ET phone home! Oh and I believe in ghosts too ;)

MarmiteToasty said...

Well we have maggots in our dustbin cos I left a fish skin in the bottom, but Im now thinking its probably aliens and not maggots at all :)

I hope you didnt bend over on your trip cos I read once about aliens and an anal probe lol

x

jmt said...

Ack. The opinions they'd form...? I shudder to think.

If they read your blog, however, it might improve. Always full of good stuff to make us silly reality show watching folk more smarter. :)

junyah said...

Im baffled to wounder if theres intellegent life on this planet. lol............. Great read as always .. Thanks Guy . jUnYAh