Thursday, September 16, 2010

All Aboard! Even You Wood Hicks!

A picture of mountain ridges all appearing as blue ribbons
Nestled in the mountains of West Virginia, Cass Scenic Railroad State Park offers excursions that transport you back in time to relive an era when steam-driven locomotives were an essential part of everyday life.

The white clapboard Cass town buildings including rail station and post office
The town of Cass remains relatively unchanged. The restored white clapboard company houses can now be rented as vacation cottages. They really add to the charm and atmosphere of the town. From the company store and museum to the train depot, my Dad and I found a lot of things to do prior to our train ride.

inside the steam engine repair shop
We elected to visit the Lumber Mill Ruins and the Cass Shops, where they keep and repair the locomotives each night. I was transfixed by the huge machines they use to keep the engines in good running condition.

The Cass Railroad was built in 1901 to haul lumber from the nearby mountains to the mill in Cass. The locomotives are the same Shay locomotives used in Cass for more than a half-century. Many of the passenger cars are old logging flat-cars that have been refurbished.


With the steam engine warming up behind us, the ruins of the lumber mill were rather spooky as the morning fog (and the steam engine exhaust) rolled around them while we looked them over.

the rusted ruins of a lumber mill where only a small part of the buildings are still standing
Once we boarded the train, the real excitement began! The great pistons of the Shay locomotive started pulsing, driven by hundreds of pounds of steam pressure. The shaft began turning, the wheels found traction, and the locomotive began to move. With thick, black smoke belching from its stack, the train pulls away from the station, passing the water tower from which the locomotive tanks are filled. As the train rounds the curve up Leatherbark Creek, we passed the Cass Shop and a graveyard of antiquated but fascinating equipment slowly rusts on a siding.


As the steam pressure builds, the locomotive is driven at full power, and the laborious journey up the mountain toward the two switchbacks begin. The loud huff of the stack, the clanking of gears and pistons, the furious scream of the whistle at the crossings, and the ever present clackety-clack of the rails made my dad and I feel as if we had indeed been transported back in time.

the big geared locomotive poses for me
The train soon passed through the first switchback, reversed up a steep grade, and ascended to the second switchback where the process was repeated, and then finally into open fields and Whittaker Station. The switchback process allows the train to gain quick altitude, and in this instance, the train traversed a grade of up to 11 percent, or 11 feet in altitude for each 100 feet of track. A 2 percent grade on conventional railroads is considered terribly steep!

The Mountain State Railroad & Logging Historical Association has recreated a logging camp of the 1940's at Whittaker Station that shows both the living quarters and the equipment used by the loggers (the lowliest of them were called "Wood Hicks"). The centerpiece of Camp One is a Lidgerwood tower skidder, one of only two examples left in the world. These huge railcar-mounted machines carried logs out of the woods on aerial cables for distances up to 3000 feet. I was so engrossed by them, I completely forgot to take pictures!

the steam engine sits near a creek while they ran a hose into the tender to refill it
We took the full 4 and 1/2 hour trip to Bald Knob, so we left Whittaker Station and proceeded to Oats Run for the engine to take on additional water at a spring.

over look platform with view of mountain ridges
The train then climbed up the mountain, finally reaching Bald Knob, the third highest point in West Virginia. The overlook at Bald Knob provides a spectacular view at an altitude of 4,700 feet.

The big radio dish is visible in the valley below
Do you see what I see? The huge radio dish from the National Radio Astronomy Observatory in the small town of Greenbank lays at our feet in the distance.

I stood looking into the mountains singing "Country Roads" in my head while I waited for the ride back down the mountain to Cass...

Almost heaven! West Virginia
Blue Ridge Mountains
Shenandoah River -
Life is old there
Older than the trees
Younger than the mountains
Growin' like a breeze

Country Roads, take me home
To the place I belong
West Virginia, mountain momma
Take me home, country roads

All my memories gathered round her
Miners lady, stranger to blue water
Dark and dusty, painted on the sky
Misty taste of moonshine
Teardrops in my eye

Country Roads, take me home
To the place I belong
West Virginia, mountain momma
Take me home, country roads

I hear her voice
In the mornin' hour she calls me
The radio reminds me of my home far away
And drivin' down the road I get a feelin'
That I should have been home yesterday, yesterday

Country Roads, take me home
To the place I belong
West Virginia, mountain momma
Take me home, country roads
Take me home, now country roads
Take me home, now country roads...


19 comments:

AliceKay said...

I loved this post! Loved the pics, loved the video, loved your description of the adventure you took with your dad. What a wonderful way to spend a weekend. :)

Matty said...

I didn't know about this railroad. The countryside looks wonderful and I can imagine taking that ride. And just look at the scenic overlook. Gorgeous.

Parsley said...

Wow! What beautiful scenery!

Deanna said...

That locamotive definitely takes me back in time. I was singing Chatanooga Choo Choo in my head but Country Road is perfect!

Beautiful picutes and the scenery is breathtaking! Bald Knob! Wow. Thanks for the share.

Huge hugs!

Lickety Splitter said...

Oh wow, you sing Country Road, and I was thinking ... All Aboard ... the Sooooouuuul Train!

Great pics! I am taking a road trip between Charleston and Savannah in October. Hope to find lots to take pictures of!

betty said...

okay, what I'm trying to figure out is how you got the video of the train crossing the tracks but you were on the train??? wonder if anyone ever complains about noise/air pollution with the train as it goes along its "merry way"? It looks like it would have been a fun day trip!!! (I'm curious, bathrooms on the train? One could never make it 4-1/2 hours without one :)

beautiful area too! must have been majestic to see it in person!

as always, Iggy, thanks for sharing your adventures :)

betty

yellowdoggranny said...

Loved everything about this...thanks so much.

f8hasit said...

This is fabulous! I want to go there! Fact is I'm waiting for tourist information to load on my other computer right now as I'm typing this comment.

I'll take some pictures of the log haulers for you...
:-)

Furry Bottoms said...

I have a lot of family in West Virginia. And they include those wood hicks, to be honest, hahaha.

Man, what an amazing experience this must have been. The country road song was great!

Rita said...

What a great trip! The short videos really added to making me feel like I was there. What a view from the mountaintop--gorgeous!

I was wondering why the engine was pushing the cars up the track? Maybe so the passengers weren't lost in the black and gray steam? ROFL!

It is so flat here in North Dakota. Thanks for the trip into mountain country! ;)

Heather said...

How beautiful the scenery! What a nice weekend trip. I'm thinking of taking the boys in a few years. Thanks for sharing and inspiring.

Krystal Kats said...

Wow I felt like I was there! my husband was born in PA but your trip to West Virginia looks like someplace I have to put on my to do list! this was a fun read! enjoy your weekend.

jewelrybyrebecca said...

Beautiful pictures!!!!!

yellowdoggranny said...

hey sweetie, go to godsarebored and read anne's first post on the monkey man..if your not doing anything saturday you could go see him and also meet anne..if you go, give her a big hug and tell her it's from me.

Anonymous said...

I loved this post and yes what a perfect song to go along with it. The Pictures are beautiful I want to be there so badly now lol

My daughter and I went to the mountains once and we road a steam engine and we had to ride through this tunnel and the train man did warn us we might have to hold our breath, OMG I bout died I didnt think we were ever gonna get out of that tunnel and all that steam smoke coming our way but we made it and Im still alive lol

Thanks for sharing the trip Iggy, I hope you have a happy weekend HUGS

MarmiteToasty said...

Wow...... what a wonderful way to spend a weekend with your dad.... I LOVE steam trains with a passion, and we have the Watercress Line sorat fairly local to use BUT its nuffin like what you have just experienced.... the views, oh my the views are amazing... Im JEALOUS..

x

jmt said...

I know that song - I was singing along! :)
Countryside, despite all its bugs and such, is so pretty and soothing. I should find a way to get out to some more often.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fantastic way to spend your time...

Choo, choo!

Pamela said...

that song was one of the first things that came to mind when I saw the first paragraph.

That is quite a climb! I posted two years ago our little trip on the Mt Rainier Railway. Although there had been a flood that washed one of the bridges away, which shortened the trip way too much.