Sunday, May 2, 2010

A Melancholy Day

As some of you know, my Dad had a mild heart attack recently, and the medication they put him on has left him anemic, short of breath, and in general, easily tired. With Mother's Day coming up, he has been sort of "out of it" - and I'm not sure just why.

Perhaps it's because of the recent loss of his "second" mother. I don't know, my Dad is about as close to the vest kind of person as they come.

He mentioned wanting to go to Scranton (the home of the TV show, Office) to see the old trolley and street cars there. The Electric City Trolley Museum is located next to Steamtown, a National Historic site preserving and explaining steam locomotives.

Regardless of the steam heritage, Scranton calls itself "the Electric City" since it was the first city in the USA to have an entire system of street cars operating entirely by electric.

I told my Dad I would be glad to join him in a trip to the museum and yesterday, the first of May, and the first day the museum's trolley car resumed excursions for the summer season, we went.

When we pulled into the parking lot, my Dad's tired eyes lit up.

the trolley museum building with two trolleys in front, a green one and an orange one
The green trolley car to the left, with a destination sign in the upper-left window saying "Erie Avenue" was one of many similar ones that my Dad rode to High School and other places during the immediate post-WWII era. When he and my Mom moved into the Philadelphia suburbs (it was the country side back then), they saw the orange "freight" trolley regularly. The freight trolley was used by the Lehigh Valley Transit Company to bring milk and bread to the city and take mail and hardware out to the farmers.

a Philadelphia and western trolley in red, white and blue
Just a little further down the track was red, white and blue Car #206 (built by J.G. Brill Co. of Philadelphia in 1931) is one of the Philadelphia & Western’s (P&W)famed "Bullet" cars, named for their pointed streamlined ends.

Bullet car #206 continued to rocket along the P&W tracks under Red Arrow and later Southeastern Pennsylvania Transit Authority (SEPTA) management where it got its garish paint job.

My Dad nudge me in the side and said, "You and your older brother probably rode in that car." It seems that when my older brother was "fussy" as a toddler, my Mom would take him for a ride on the "P&W" from Norristown into Philadelphia and back - letting the gentle sway of the car and the rhythmic clackety-clack of the rail soothe my brother and ease him into a nap.

Apparently it worked, and my Mom did the same with me.

a lone trolley waits at the station platform
On a bright sunny day, the excursion trolley waits for some riders to board. Car #76 (built by J.G. Brill Co. in 1926) is a "Center Door" car originally built for the Philadelphia and West Chester Traction Co.

Close up with a lady boarding the trolley
This trolley roamed the "Red Arrow Lines" system from 69th Street Terminal in Upper Darby (Philadelphia) to suburban terminals in West Chester, Ardmore, Norristown, Media and Sharon Hill.

the trolley is actually the wheel on the end of the pole that runs along the overhead electric line
My Dad found the exhibit of trolley wheels to be great interest. My dad pointed out that the "trolley" is actually the round wheel at the end of the pole - the word stems from the word "troller", the device that allows an electrical current to pass from an overhead wire to a streetcar. The trolley car is the vehicle. My dad's like that.

At any rate, he and his father made many of the trolley wheels used by Brill trolley cars, along with repair and replacement parts in the family's brass foundry. He pointed out a couple in the display case "he might of made."

a close up of the red arrow logo
My dad says he might of rode this trolley back in the day with his father. He sat on the wicker trolley seat a bit winded from the walk from the museum building to the trolley station grinning like a two year old.

a small creek the trolley line ran along
The excursion trolley ride went along a couple tributaries of the Lackawanna, a stream that flows into the Susquehanna River in Wilkes-Barre. The trolley line was once called "The Laurel Run Line" as it went from Scranton to Laurel Run just east of Wilkes-Barre.


The pride of the museum is P&W trolley car #46 which was built by the St. Louis Car Co. in 1907. This trolley was found abandoned in a field being used as a storage shed. Now restored, it literally gleams from the loving attention it garners from the volunteers that work at the museum.

I put a poor quality, short video of the ride we took on the trolley (here). The first part was shot in the "Crown Avenue Tunnel" which was completed in 1905. This tunnel is one of the longest interurban trolley tunnels ever built at 4750 feet. The second part shows the seemingly ruralness of the ride through the valley. The last part shows the far end of the trolley ride - the car barn at the baseball stadium where the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees, the AAA affiliate of the New York Yankees play.

my dad turned away looking out the street car while we rode in it
For much of the ride back to the museum, I watched my Dad looking out the trolley car window and pondered. Was he lost in the many memories of trolley riding in his youth? Was he contemplating obsolescence, the passing of the trolley car and the no-longer used trolley wheels that he and his father made? Or was he just enjoying the passing scenery, happy to be able to take this ride?

I don't know. I do know one thing. He's my dad and I'm glad he felt good enough to go to the museum and spend the day with me.

20 comments:

Joy De Vivre Design said...

It sounds like the two of you had a wonderful day together! I am glad that he felt up for the days activities as well. You are a very good son to your father and it probably helped him feel much better just talking to you about something he enjoyed!

Parsley said...

You'll never regret the time and effort you take to make these memories with your dad. I'm sure it's a precious time for you both.

I hope he feels better. Maybe he needs to check his meds and dosage?

Thank you for sharing your trip with us.

betty said...

again so much history behind this post, Iggy. I'm glad you were able to spend the time with your dad (and that you made the time to take him to some place he was interested in seeing). I enjoyed the video; being bit claustrophic, I'm not sure I would enjoy the tunnel, but it did look like it was pretty well lit. And again what a scenic area it is that you call home (and of course the surrounding areas too :)

hope your dad feels better soon; it is always hard to lose a love one :(

betty

AliceKay said...

I'm glad he felt good enough to go on this trip with you, too, and I'm glad you took him. It's nice to hear how well you and your dad get along. You're a very lucky guy in that respect.

Loved the pics and the video. You weren't too far from my neck of the woods yesterday. I'm glad you had a nice day to visit the area.

I've got a story to tell you someday. It's about an old trolley car that was being restored in an old building in Dushore quite a few years ago by a guy my dad knew. He had Steamtown connections.

Furry Bottoms said...

You are such a good son. If I ever have a child, I hope that child will continue to be interested in doing things with me like this when I am older.

Your dad was probably doing all those you mentioned... enjoying the scenery, going down memory lane, pondering life's essence.

I love that your mom took you on those for a ride to put you to sleep!!!

Anonymous said...

Im so glad that you got to spend the day with your dad also and I loved looking at the pics of the trolleys. I liked the pic of your dad looking out the window especially.

Im sure he was lost in memories as you said and now this will be a good memory for you as well, hugsss

jewelrybyrebecca said...

Aw, I'm so glad you had such a nice trip with your Dad. Good memories for both of you.

Yankee Girl said...

Being able to spend time with family is the most important thing. I am sure your dad was happy to have spent time with you as well.

This post was interesting to read and was historical and dripping in sentiment. I love how you can give us history in a way I have never seen before.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad your Dad felt well enough to go with you. :)

CTG Ponies said...

It's wonderful that you got to spend the day with your father and you were able to bring him somewhere that holds so many memories for him. Time is precious, enjoy it.

Pamela said...

another beautiful post!!

Do take me on that ride when I come to visit. (don't hold your breath -- either in the tunnel or waiting for me to knock on your door. ha ha)

I kinda understand your dads silence. It certainly has something to do with looking back and wondering where time has gone. Clickety clack...those years don't come back.

AiringMyLaundry said...

What a fun time. Great memories, too.

sugarlens said...

You are a great son for spending a day with your father! Glad you guys had fun.

Queenie Jeannie said...

What a wonderful day the two of you had. You are so lucky to have such an incredible family to share these times and memories with. I hope your Dad continues to recover! Big hugs!!

Deanna said...

He was probably pondering what a wonderful son you are. I am so glad you are taking the time to enjoy these moments with your dad. I'm sure losing his second mother was weighing on his mind some.

I am fascinated by trollies. We would take our kids for rides in the car when they didn't sleep. A trolley is a lot more fun!

yellowdoggranny said...

thanks for letting me share the day with you and your dad..i had a great time

aladdinsane12 said...

i'm so glad that he spent a happy day with you. it sounds like it was a lot of fun. i had no idea that the trolley was actually the little wheel! i'll have to remember that and pull it out when i feel like being smart :)

Matty said...

No matter your age Iggy, a father-son day is always a good thing. Glad you had the time to make some great memories.

Rita said...

Wow! I'd love to ride a trolly and you gave me the next best thing--a video! I'll have to go back and look at some more of your videos, too. :) What a lovely day with your dad. Great shot of him on the wicker seat gazing out the window. Such a good thing you are taking pictures and making trips when he feels up to it. Memories being made that will last forever! :):)

MarmiteToasty said...

I have tears running down my face after reading this.... daft right, but I just LOVE the closeness you and your dad have just love it.

I so wish we had those beautiful trolleys over here.... Ive always loved your doodle transport lol

x