Monday, May 24, 2010

Elephant Graveyard

An elephant graveyard is a place where, according to legend, older elephants instinctively direct themselves when they reach a certain age. They then die there alone, far from the group.

There are several theories about the term's origin. One theory revolves around people finding groups of elephant skeletons together, or observing old elephants and skeletons in the same habitat. Others suggest that the term may spring from group die-offs such as one excavated in Saxony-Anhalt which had 27 ancient pachyderm skeletons. Other theories focus on elephant behavior during lean times, suggesting that starving elephants gather in places where finding food is easier, and subsequently die there.

-------------------------

This past Sunday morning, the sun rose obscured by a gloomy, low hanging overcast with periods of spotty drizzle. The plans for the day, which entailed driving "deep in to" the neighboring state of Delaware were scrubbed since the weather was crummy and me and my traveling mate were both feeling a bit "iffy".

So we decided to hang close to home - and meet up in the afternoon at a newly opened museum much more local to us - in fact - the museum was almost exactly half way between our homes being situated in lower Bucks County, PA. I hope to write more about the museum as it was a really nifty place for me, who as a young boy who aspired to be an astronaut.

But that story will have to wait -

While I waiting for my Dad to arrive, I went to the newly opened Warminster County Park located right next to the museum to walk a bit. This park is rather unique in that it was cobbled together from land that once formed the Brewster Aircraft Works and later the Navy's NADC (Naval Air Development Center) and as such, within the park, there is the remaining part of the airport used to test pre-and-post WWII Navy planes. The walking trail consists of about 5,000 feet or so of runway and perimeter taxiing and service roads.

Immediately adjacent to the parking lot is Gilda Radner Way and a lovely 200 year old farmhouse that has been transformed into a Gilda Radner Club house for families dealing with cancer. I found myself reflecting on the amazing life of Gilda Radner who died on May 20, 1989 at the age of 42 years old, having her comedic career cut short by ovarian cancer. I just couldn't get over how its been over 20 years now - since I heard her sing that delightful, but dirty, ditty, "Lets Talk Dirty To The Animals" (Note: Rated R)

With Gilda's squeaky voice piping in my head, I began my walk.

in the far distance down the runway is a flagpole with a huge american flag
This is the sight that greeted me as I walked up a short slope and onto the end of the runway. Barely visible in the gloomy far distance, down the runway is a flagpole with a huge American flag fluttering in the breeze. To the left is the "Bark Park," a place for dogs to run free as the day they were born (or something like that.)

I wasn't feeling "walk-ish", but I put my head down, gritted my teeth, and started down the runway.

a close up of the American flag
My goal was to get close enough to the American flag "way out there" to get a picture of it.

So I plodded and plodded. The runway, once used by Brewster Buffaloes that went on to fight at Pearl Harbor and Midway, stretched out before me.

about half way down the runway, the flag is more visible
About half way down the runway, the flag suddenly popped out of the gloom for a few moments - and I luxuriated in the brightness where F4 Phantom IIs destined for Viet Nam once screeched on the pavement.

I noticed something orange in the glare... but it was still a long ways off - so I once more put my head down to watch for cracks in the weather beaten asphalt.

a vista opens, the orange glare resolves itself into...
As I near the opposite end of the runway, the vista opens, and the orange glare resolves itself into...

hundreds and hundreds of orange cones standing on the end of the runway
An Orange Conehead Cemetery... a place where old orange cones go to die... or so legend has it.

17 comments:

MarmiteToasty said...

:) I thought you was gonna say you run up the middle of the runway with your arms outstretched like and aeroplane lol......

oh my, poor coneheads :( they look like they have even been stripped of their white stripes......and that one in the foreground didnt even make it to the line up :)

x

Parsley said...

HA, this is too funny now that I 'understand'. Found some strange orange creatures in our shop building. Should I be concerned?

Deanna said...

No way! lmao

Can't wait for the museum post.

AliceKay said...

LOL (i still wanna know why there's a green one in the group) :P

Nice story. I clicked on your links and loved the closeups of your pics. I even watched the video clip. I always liked Gilder Radner. She was another one who was taken too soon.

I hope you had a good day today. *hugs*

Anonymous said...

Darn funny!

LadyStyx said...

*laffin*

Saw a blue one the other day while we were out. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera ready in time. I don't know if it was a result of the deep freeze we had this winter or if it was trying to hold its breath due to the traffic on a highly traveled roadway. Could be that it was just a mutant variety too...

yellowdoggranny said...

oh what a great story and even greater ending..

aladdinsane12 said...

it looks like some of them are still alive...maybe...they're lined up like little soldiers!

Joy De Vivre Design said...

You always have the best stories and photos to boot! It always seems like you are taking us right along with you.

I am always saddened when I am reminded of Gilda Radner as well.I read that she had been sick for some time and nobody could figure out why. If only she would have been properly diagnosed earlier!

betty said...

next time you will have to bring flowers, or whatever you put on the graves of the fallen cones. what a display of them, I hope they are adequately honored and respected

sounds like an interesting place to spend part of your weekend. I'm sure Bark Park is a delightful place for those that get along with others :)

I remember reading about Gilda Radner's death in a People magazine when we were driving back from Washington DC after my sister's wedding with my then 2-month infant. Amazing it has been 21 years......

betty

jewelrybyrebecca said...

So nice that they have such a special place to be remembered.

Rita said...

Loved Gilda and all the original members of SNL! Sad to see that in the cone graveyard they still tried to stand in lines with their final moments of usefulness. ;)

Lickety Splitter said...

Looks like you hit the mother lode of cones! I liked that you started the story in one place and ended up in another ;)

Anonymous said...

I hope you took a moment to pay your respects to those poor cones who died there.

Furry Bottoms said...

I burst out laughing once I saw those orange cones!!! They made the walk worthwhile didn't they?

Anonymous said...

OMG this is just too funny Iggy they were just waiting for you to how up thanks so much for sharing and for the bit about Gilda, her death was so sad indeed and I did not know about the Gilda house so I learned something today, hugsss

Queenie Jeannie said...

Your sense of humor and photography skills are such a gift to all of us!!!

Thank you!