Wednesday, May 5, 2010

A Bedtime Story

The crowd gathers...

a picture showing all the cones I've gotten in the mail except cappy, some ceramic items from lady styx and the robin in the nest Tori sent me
The chanting starts....

"IGGY! Read us a CHARLIE story! IGGY! Read us a CHARLIE story! IGGY! Read us a CHARLIE story!"

So I pulled out the book I received in the mail yesterday from someone that just somehow knew I was going to be needing a good story to read to the gang.

...and so it was, I settled in and started to read them the tale of "The Forgetful Squirrel".


In my deep, sonorous John Forsythe-like voice, I read, "Once upon a time (I always start a story that way even if the stories don't actually go that way) snow glittered on the branches of the trees in Southfield Wood. Their leaves had long ago fallen, and the bare bark looked cold and grey beneath its white frosting...."

"Oooooooh," trilled the Bluebird of Happiness from Virginia, "I love how this story starts! Especially that 'Once upon a time' part!"

"Eeeekkkkhheeeeee eeeeeeekkkkk meeeee ooooooooot oooot tooooo," replied Bluebird's buddy, the Banana-toting Monkey with a big grin.

"Chirp chirp! Good story choice!" tweeted the Robin in the Nest.

I looked up and saw the Conas Bothers acting disinterested and "too cool" for little kiddie stories although they elbowed their idol, Gene Simmons, out of the way so they could hear better.

Sippy the OCHA just smiled and rubbed the Pooh stickers on his belly.

The beauty pageant Queens were all behaving prim and proper, one might of thought they were performing at the Miss America pageant.

Stinky, the gassy OCHA from Mobile, Alabama, towered behind the rest of the crowd, pushing them all closer in his eagerness to hear more about the forgetful squirrel.

As I continued to read, one by one, their eyes slowly lowered as they nodded off and journeyed into the land of the sleepy dreams, their heads filled with misplaced acorns. Quietly, I placed a soul comfort bookmark at the page on which I left off and headed to the sofa to do the very same.

17 comments:

Furry Bottoms said...

You are so so so silly!!!! Hehehehe I loved this post!

Deanna said...

But... But.... But.... I wanted to hear the rest of the story!!!!!

LOL you DO have quite a collection, don't you.

Huge hugs. Thanks for today's giggle.

Anonymous said...

I've never heard that story.

jewelrybyrebecca said...

Aaaaa (big yawn followed by big stretch)

Good story, time for my nap now.

LadyStyx said...

*agrees with Deanna that that is definitely quite the collection and wonders just what company would think of all those cones*

Anonymous said...

Well I guess Im a big ole softy because this brought tears to my eyes lol I just loved reading this post and seeing your wonderful collection of your OCHAs you have made me feel wonderful my friend, thank you so much Iggy HUGE HUGS to you!!

AliceKay said...

Cute post. :)

You really are getting quite the collection there. LOL

I hope you were able to get a little sleep last night, too. Thanks for the smiles.

yellowdoggranny said...

did they live happiliy ever after?

ChicagoLady said...

Oooooohhhhhh, I love how the story starts. Read some more, Iggy!!!!

betty said...

I just love how your cone family is growing! they look like they (relatively) enjoy each other's company and who wouldn't enjoy snuggling with each other during story time. I can totally relate how each of these cones have a personality and a name. call me crazy, but we have a stuffed polar bear and a stuffed corgi puppy with names and personalities; I think they keep us somewhat sane :)

always love reading about your cones :)

(I saw the lizard today; he seems to be doing just fine :)

betty

Queenie Jeannie said...

I know the story has a happy ending because "Once upon a time" ones always do!!

Big hugs!!

sugarlens said...

Your collection is growing!

African American Mom said...

Ha! Ha! F.U.N.N.Y!

aladdinsane12 said...

I love that you have a Gene Simmons cone. Epic.

Pamela said...

You need to volunteer at the library.

Pamela said...

(storytime for kids)

Rita said...

Once upon a time...is my favorite way for a story to start, too. You'd be a great volunteer to read to kids, I bet! That was my favorite thing to do when I was a daycare teacher (for a brief year). I even volunteered to take others turns who hated it. I bet you'd be awesome! And so glad you used one of my bookmarks in your cone storybook!! :):)