Friday, May 21, 2010

The 5 Challenge

Today, I got a challenge from Aunt of 14. I'm supposed to post five pictures that I really like, list five things that I like about me and then challenge five other bloggers to do the same.

I dug through some of the pictures I have taken recently and uploaded into Flickr and don't think I've included with any previous entries. The rules don't say they have to be your pictures but I'm playing that way. And if I have included a picture before, oh well, just goes to show I do like it. :)

wooden snow fence on a sand dune at the new jersey shore
A snow fence down at the New Jersey shore used to help stabilize a sand dune. I remember it being one of the first nice, sunny days after this last hard winter we had when I took this picture. The water glistened and the sand was cool and soft underfoot.

bright blue eyed baby boy sitting in a chair with his brother hugging him
My step-grandmother passed away after a brief battle with lung cancer recently, but a few weeks before she died, her entire family gathered around her at her log house for a BBQ picnic and guitar sing-a-long. This little boy was the youngest...her great-grandson. He was so sunny and bubbly, and obviously adores his older brother. He was the perfect tonic for the undercurrent of sadness that blanketed us.

zoey, my dad's german shepard puppy lying at my dad's feet
My Dad recovered from his mild heart attack and nearly gave my Mom one when he brought home a very energetic and exuberant German Shepard puppy. Zoey has the inquisitive nature that matches the gaze on her face. She's just about housebroken already - she's probably much smarter than I am. :)

a convrete scupture of two young children sitting on a bench smooching each other
Every day, when time permits, I walk around the neighborhood where my office is located. Largely residential off the Main Street, the residents of town seem to strive to see who can find and display the most eye-catching nick-knacks.

I just think these two are too cute for words.

a view of an old tractor and milk barn in the Norristown Farm Park
I often walk in the Norristown Farm Park since it is only a few blocks from where I live. The county park is the site of the Pennsylvania State Mental Hospital - and the fields are where the inmate/patients once worked for personal fulfillment and inner-peace. They no longer work there - but the one can find inner-peace in the quiet stillness at dusk. The sun is setting on this old rusted tractor near the hay barn, and you can see the sprawling (and recently restored) milk barn across the valley.

5 Things I Like about Me

1. I'm low maintenance and fairly easy to please. It doesn't take a whole lot to make me happy. I don't need $500 shoes, or expensive haircuts, or a 52 inch television (or even cable or satellite for that matter). I will eat most anything - except Lima Beans.

2. I like to hear a good joke (and groaners too) and think one of the most perfect things a human can do for another is to make them laugh...straight from the belly.

3. I was an Eagle Scout and the morals and good values they espouse are hopefully within me. It may be unfashionable to be a "boy scout" but I believe in "being prepared", and "On my honor, I will do my best, to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law; To help other people at all times; To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight."

4. I like to think that given enough time and incentive, I can work out how just about anything works and what might be done to fix them if they aren't working "right." Analysis and synthesis.

5. I strive to be dependable and reliable. I try to keep my word - and am almost always punctual. I hate it when people roll in even 15 minutes late without a durn good reason!

Now to choose five of you - this is even harder than listing 5 things I like about myself...

I'm going to ask for volunteers... :)

17 comments:

Parsley said...

I liked your post and getting to know you better. Hope you find lots of smiles this weekend.

Dorkys Ramos said...

*Raises her hand*

Sure, dude :)

Hope you have a great weekend!

Furry Bottoms said...

Those are wonderful pictures. The puppy is so cute :) He almost looks suspicious!

Its good to get to know you better... those are very good things to like about yourself! Thanks for playing!

Queenie Jeannie said...

This was great!! I LOVE the photos you chose to share and I always like learning more about one of my favorite bloggy friends! HUGS!!!

PS Bella graduated today and I posted all the videos and pictures of her!!!

AliceKay said...

Great pictures as always and wonderful thoughts to go with them.

Hey, I think I know you pretty durn good. :)

betty said...

I'm with you, Iggy, about late people, especially late people at church.....

I enjoyed all the pictures; a great mixture of wonderful memories and important things in your life, awesome!

I hope the weekend is a good one for you :)

betty

MarmiteToasty said...

You are such a special wonderful person Iggy....

Filled with beautiful thoughts and memories and love and care....

Loved all the photos...

x

Matty said...

I always sensed that you were dependable. And being on time for someone is just plain courteous. Women should find the "low maintenance" attractive.

f8hasit said...

Love this little MeMe post!
LOVE the first photo. But really? No lima beans?

And here I thought you were perfect...
:-)

jewelrybyrebecca said...

Hmm, OK. I'll raise my hand too. No promises on being punctual.

yellowdoggranny said...

i love the pictue of the 2 little boys...and i love you

sugarlens said...

1. I LOVE lima beans. I don't think we can be friends anymore. ;)

2. I am always punctual as well, even now with a baby. I hate it when people roll in even 5 minutes late, even with a good reason.

Rita said...

Those are great pictures! I'm punctual, too--usually a little early to be on the safe side. I am especially impressed that you can figure out how things work! Not overly surprising for someone as curious as you are--but now I understand more fully how you end up thinking in the women's bathroom--hehe! ;)

Deanna said...

I had a boss once who insisted on punctuality. He charged a quarter for each minute anyone was late. At one point he got fed up enough with those who were tardy that he started locking them out of meetings. Very effective.

You list didn't surprise me at all. The items you listed is one of the reasons I admire you so.

Loved the pictures as always.

LadyStyx said...

Those are some of my fav pix of yours too. Although, personally, I don't think I could have narrowed the selection down with all the great pix you've taken.

I'm usually on time. It's the Y-Chromes that I've lived with that have made the difference. The first one was perpetually LATE. This one, is generally always early.

Anonymous said...

I loved this post Iggy and I say your are one perfect friend :o) hugssss

I loved the pictures they are just wonderful!

CTG Ponies said...

What a fun challenge to play along with. The pictures are great.