The Millersburg Ferry Boat is the oldest transportation system in Pennsylvania. It crosses the Susquehanna River from Millersburg in Dauphin County to an adjacent landing along U.S. Routes 11 and 15 in Perry County, approximately 25 miles north of the state capital of Harrisburg.

The ramp at Millersburg includes a sign that states the first poled ferry at this location started in 1825. A powered paddlewheel ferry began freight and passenger operations in 1873. The ferry acted as an unofficial extension of the railroad and canal on the east shore.

If you get there and want to take the ferry, you swing this door out to signal the boat waiting on the other side of the river. The auto deck has capacity for four cars. The ferry claims a capacity of 50 people. Its absolute top speed is 4 miles an hour.

The pedigree of these boats go back to the Susquehanna coal dredges (enough coal was washed into the river from coal cleaning operations on some tributaries to make recovery of the fine coal sludge profitable), and even before that, to the ferry operations at Peach Bottom operated by the Peach Bottom Railroad. Peach Bottom is now the site of a nuclear power plant.
Source of Pictures and Info
More historical information can be found here

14 comments:
That ferry looks awfully low in the water! I don't know if I'd trust it! ;)
I agree with Yaya...I have this fear of drowning and I really don't trust rickety boats..or ferry. But the mountains looks beautiful.
I have a nice view of the mountians as well...Someday I'll have a cabin deep in the mountians.
That ferry doesnt look safe at all. I dont think I would be travelling on it...
I've been up and down that road many times in my life, but I don't ever remember seeing signs for this ferry. The Susquehanna River has a lot of shallow areas...this may be one of them but I don't know for sure. The river up here in the Towanda area is very low right now because we haven't had much rain lately. You can see sand bars all over the place.
wow I LOVE it..... its like a little mississippi steamer with the paddles at the back.....
Have ya been on it? have ya?...
x
The boat only needs 2-3 inches of water to float - the paddle wheel requires a bit more water. The river is so shallow here that you can walk across without getting your shorts wet.
Alice Kay - the west side landing is hidden in a campground :) The sign is there but the campground sign is so big you won't notice the ferry crossy part.
Marmite Toasty - I have been across on this ferry boat a couple times - I have also been half way across once. :) It got stuck on the bottom and I and the others on the ferry ended up being picked up by another boat. Fortunately, I was riding across without my car so I just got to enjoy another boat ride. The one group with a car had to wait a while until they found another boat big enough to tow the ferry into deeper water! :)
Way cool! It looks rickity...but obviously it works :-)
Even as rickey as it is, I think I'd get on it anyhow. So long as the water isnt terribly deep it wont bother me as I love being in the water anyhow.
LOL@you being rescued..... if I was the captain I would of all made you jump overboard and swim to shore LOL
But then Im pure evil ;)
x
It is a bit on the rickety side but I think I would give it a try...definitely on foot though. I can swim if need be, but it would be hell dragging my car out of the river should the ferry sink. Nice post Iggy! Hugs
I bet it's a nice ride if the weather's not too rough.
I have been to Susquehanna River. We were on our way to Hershey Park and decided to stop by downtown. We were there early so nothing was open, but it seems like a nice place to walk around.
I agree with others, that ferry looks unsafe and old!
How interesting..thank you for sharing it.
I'd go on it in a heart beat..but you know I go on one every weekend. They had the Drayton Island ferry out for repairs for weeks, but "she" is finally back running back and forth. Thank goodness!
She is only running two days a week which makes it a challenge, but two days are better than no days..eh? We have used the pontoon boat a lot so Ringo and Amber (the name we finally agreed on) are quite sea worthy now. In fact, if they could figure out how to take it out for a spin I believe they would. Amber has already figured out how to put her huge paw on the golf cart peddle to make it go faster. She has really changed the energy in our home..she is wild and free spirited. Ringo is in love and has lost weight and is getting all buff again. hee, hee
Well, I am certainly rambling on about nothing..not sure how I got here from the ferry. Sorry about that. :O
It made my heart feel good to stop by and check on your world today. You always make my heart smile.
Namaste',
~gypsy-heart
Was one of the boats in the pictures the ferry that holds four cars? None of them look big enough, lol.
I would love to take that ferry ride, without my car during a drought, with my car after a HUGE rainstorm, lol.
Post a Comment