Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend

This Memorial Day weekend I was busy in Chestertown, Maryland helping to get the houseboat "The Water's Edge" shipshape for another boating season. Docking lines needed tying and adjustments, water resupply lines run, the winterized plumbing flushed, the hot water heater reconnected, foodstuffs purchased and stocked away, bedding laid in, boat registration decals applied and so forth. It was a busy weekend.

While there, I saw this car in the marina parking lot and thought, "at least its appropriate." Many of the folks with boats at the Rolph's Wharf marina are older retired folks living out their golden years on the waterfront enjoying the sea breezes and their grand and great-grand children swimming, fishing, flying kites, and enjoying picnics on the boat and beaches.

car place saying 'golden years'
I busied myself with cleaning the barnacles of both of the boats propellers and prop-shafts, applying new zincs and squaring away the launch and dock lines.

steel propellers gleaming after several hours of elbow grease
The boat not only floats, it is floating happily in its slip at the dock. The sun was a bit warm and the elbow grease application tired me out a bit so I sat down for a bit and greeted the old "neighbors" with a "happy new (boating) year!" and asked how their winters had treated them.

The houseboat floating happily in its dock slip
The old gentleman in the houseboat to the port side was happy to talk to me. He had all the grandkids from one of his 5 children staying with him on his boat - all 5 of them, the mom, along with him and his wife. I think the children range in age from about 4 to 12 or so, such busy bodies they were... always running here and there wanting towels or food or to feed the ducks or to pat the dogs or, or, or... So he came over to the houseboat with me to get some temporary peace and quiet.

Pops, as the grandfather is called by everyone at the marina, served in the US Navy on the ninth Wasp (CV-18) an aircraft carrier built in Quincy, Mass., by the Bethlehem Steel Co. and launched on 17 August 1943. I enjoyed listening to his reaccounting of what he did in the war, fighting in the Pacific. He was at sea for nearly 23 months straight, serving around the Phillipines (Leyte), Wake, Marshall Islands, Marianas, Saipan, Tinian, Iwo Jima, and Guam. Pops is an unpretentious fellow, but the list of places he saw action was an awe-inspiring litany. Asked what he remembers most and he answered he "still remembers how good the ice cream tasted when they got to San Diego, California after their tour (and the war) was over."

He got up and went to his houseboat - while I went to the grocery store and bought a couple gallons of ice cream, some plastic bowls and spoons and brought it back to the dock. For the next hour, all of his grandkids as well as about 15 people in the boats along the dock, got to sample some "San Diego" ice cream and hear about just how special Pops is, even if he doesn't think so.

Happy Memorial Day - Honor those that served.

18 comments:

LadyStyx said...

Wonderful share, simply wonderful.

Karla said...

I loved this post :-) Thanks!

Dorkys Ramos said...

Looks like you had a busy weekend! Hope it was a refreshing getaway.

By the way, I climbed aboard a navy ship today called the USS Iwo Jima. I know nothing else about it though!

And I really liked Pops memory. How sweet of you to take him back there if only for a little bit :)

P.S. Is it bad that when I first saw the license plate (before reading your entry), I thought, "What on Earth are Gold Nyers??" :/

AliceKay said...

Nice post. It sounds like you had a wonderful weekend. And it was very sweet of you to go get ice cream so everyone could enjoy.

Melissa said...

Nice post!
Yumm Ice cream! I had some frozen yogurt.

Happy Memorial Day

Lainie said...

Love this post. I wish I was there for the ice cream treat. Now I want some! Sounds like a wonderful Memorial Day weekend.

jewelzmomof4 said...

This is a cool post. I love sitting down and listening to stories about the wars. I am so proud or our men and women who serve this country past and present. I bet the ice cream went over really well. Thanks

The Wife O Riley said...

You are such a wonderful person, Iggy!

Enjoy your boat and your boating neighbors.

Anonymous said...

Someday I want to own a boat!!!!!

Deanna said...

How cool to honor your friend, and in so doing all of our heros, that way. That ice cream sure sounds good!

Hope you are feeling better and didn't overdo things...

Queenie Jeannie said...

You are such a delight to read!!! Great story and thank you for honoring Pops in your own special way!

PS Yeah I have some do-hickies left over. But it hasn't fallen down yet so I say we're good, lol! That was one tough nut to crack but my Sweet Baboo and I got 'er done!!!!!

Yankee Girl said...

Thanks for the nice comment.

I'm glad you had a good weekend, but now you have me dreaming about two scoops of mint chocolate chip in a waffle cone!

yellowdoggranny said...

oh my goddess...you sure you don't wanna fool around?...a houseboat and a big heart..what more could an old lady want..oh and ice cream to boot...sigh*

MarmiteToasty said...

This is such a beautiful post....... what a special person you truely are Iggy....... make mine a butterscotch ice-cream with a chocolate flake LOL

x

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

Wonderful share...I popped over from Jeannie's Happy World. Loved the pics and narration.

junyah said...

Hey IgGGy's first off . let me thank you for honoring that Veteran and all the others for memoiral weekend,i myself served in the Navy on the uss milwaukee. AOR she was a replentishment ship for Carriers and about anything that came along side,I am with the American Legion here Post 128 as the service officer and im also the service officer for the second dictrict ( veterans serveing veterans and theyer familys) The second dictrict has 23 other posts and if they need any help they call me.I have meet some very interesting older gentlmanand some great storeys. Hey if thats your house boat . I LOVE IT..always wanted one of them ..lol take good care of it.. Jr

Anonymous said...

Sounds to me like a great way to spend the weekend. :)

ChicagoLady said...

What a great story, even if I am reading it a month late. LOL