Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Animals at Valley Forge

Valley Forge is a national historic park that encompasses 3,500 acres and is visited by over 1.2 million people each year. All those visitors do not seem to disturb the wildlife any. While driving along the 9 miles of looping roadway, Karla, James and I were fortunate to spot a few animals.

a red fox
This little Red Fox wandered out of the woods near Mount Misery and paid no mind to us. I stopped the car and waited for him to continue on and he walked right past my car door. Red Foxes are relatively common in my area, but they are usually rather shy and keep a low profile. They do like a fresh Canadian Goose chick for dinner so now is the time to see them as they try futility to keep the goose population in check.

the red fox as he ambles by the car
Excuse me sir? Which way is it to the dining room? Having seen a fox take out a little goosling, its not a sight for the squeamish.

white tail deer eating the grass
You can hardly go anywhere in Pennsylvania and not see a Whitetail Deer. We saw several herds of the them, the largest with at least of dozen browsing beasts. Here we see some munching the lawn near the site of the Revolutionary War encampment hospital - Of the 12,000 soldiers that marched into Valley Forge in December 1777, nearly 2,500 died of disease there.

The stone monuments mark the sites of the various brigades that camped in Valley Forge. Of all the hundreds of dead buried in the park, there is only one known grave and that is of Lieutenant John Waterman of Rhode Island who died on April 23, 1778.

white tail deer deciding we had gotten a little to close runs to jump a fence
Sir! I think it's time to beat a hasty retreat!

some canadian geese with their little chicks on the lawn near the river
Valley Forge lies on the Schuylkill River - it was chosen for the encampment as it strategically lies between the city of Philadelphia, which had been captured by the British Army in September 1777, and the city of York, PA (near Gettysburg) where the Second Continental Congress had been forced to flee.

The river is along the migratory path of the Canadian Goose and the open fields of Valley Forge, along with the river, attract the birds to stay awhile.

Its only fitting that the little ones learn how to march, army style. Right Face! Forward March!

some canadian geese with their little chicks on the lawn near the river now all facing the other way!
About Face! Forward March!

a goose eating a french fry
Having flown for many miles and now in the process of raising a flock of little ones, these birds are ravenously hungry. Here we see one wolf down a french fry. I know we shouldn't have fed them - at least not without first providing ketchup or vinegar for them to flavor their "chips".

James gets rather close to the protective male geese while on his way to see my moose up close and personal
Doctor James Dolittle is busy talking to the White Chin-strap Ducks while on his way over to pat the Moose on the head.

I have some pictures of Karla and James looking at the George Washington Memorial Arch that I will share once Karla gets to look them over and pick some out for you.

11 comments:

LadyStyx said...

Awesome. Looks like y'all had a good time.....

Melissa said...

That fox looks adorable!

But the ducks, I'm scared of ducks. Once when I was little on easter a huge grounp of ducks chased me around, I fell and scraped my knee. Ever since then I keep my distance.

Looks like you had a nature filled day! =)

Lainie said...

What a cute fox. great pics of the baby geese and the deer. Can't wait for some pics of you guys!

Corinne Rodrigues said...

Hi - Came here via Deanna and Julie's blogs and really liked yours as well.
Corinne

yellowdoggranny said...

wow..foxes...around here we might see a coyote or two ...but no foxes...really beautiful country and glad you had a great time..

Celticspirit said...

I just love nature pictures. Yours are beautiful.

MarmiteToasty said...

I love foxes :)... and those geeses, well, we have them over here in season, they laid by their hundreds on the Playing fields along Southsea seafront and they strip the grass bare...

Looks like you all had a lovely time, green with envy lol

x

sugarlens said...

Those animals are probably used to people approaching them - I once got pretty close to a deer (that I saw outside of a zoo entrance).

Thanks for the tour of Valley Forge! You saw some fun animals.

Deanna said...

What fun!

It looks like you had fun!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you guys had a great time. :)

ChicagoLady said...

Awesome animals! The closest I get to that these days is bird porn.